• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to remove beeswax from leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lots of info on how to harden leather but I need to do the opposite. Many years ago my Dad made a holster and hardened it with lots of beeswax. I'd like to soften it up some and would like to find a way to get some of the wax out.

"How to remove beeswax from leather"
Ya can't.
Gentle heating and moping will remove an excess,, but once that wax is in the leather, it's in there.
What's your goal? Do you want to re-shape it? Or re-use it for another purpose?

Lacquer thinner.
With respect, that's a pretty darn aggressive solvent. Have you used it for such a purpose? Did it break down the fibers of the leather or cause other problems?

Personally I would use Acetone, at least for starters. Acetone has the rather remarkable benefit of when it evaporates, it leaves NOTHING behind at all. (This from MSDS and hazmat research I did on active duty when a major part of my duties was compliance with CA EPA standards.)

Of course one would have to work oil back into the leather after using it.

Gus

With respect, that's a pretty darn aggressive solvent. Have you used it for such a purpose? Did it break down the fibers of the leather or cause other problems?

Personally I would use Acetone, at least for starters. Acetone has the rather remarkable benefit of when it evaporates, it leaves NOTHING behind at all. (This from MSDS and hazmat research I did on active duty when a major part of my duties was compliance with CA EPA standards.)

Of course one would have to work oil back into the leather after using it.

Gus
I've used it to wipe down oily leather slings. Heaviest scrubbing was to remove Honor Guard white paint from an otherwise mint 1917 dated Boyt M1907 sling.

Wouldn't the opposite of a heat gun work as well? How about heating it up then applying ice maybe?

I've used it to wipe down oily leather slings. Heaviest scrubbing was to remove Honor Guard white paint from an otherwise mint 1917 dated Boyt M1907 sling.
Thank you for providing examples. Even so, I would still use Acetone first before using lacquer thinner.

Gus

I don't know about Lacquer thinner? It's been my experience that any kind of solvent based reducers (ie Lacquer thinner, Acetone, Alcohol, etc.) tend to really dry out leather and make it brittle. Just my experience/opinion?
God bless:
Two Feathers

It’s possible to heat up leather soaked with beeswax and reform it to fit something a little better… if that’s part of the OP’s concern. I’d also suggest just using the holster some and see if you like it. Maybe the stiffness and extra protection for you and the gun (and added durability to the holster) will grow on you. Some of my projects seem like garbage at first, but when I put them aside come back with fresh eyes most come out alright.

My holster is due in next week and I was gonna bees wax it up.
So is this now a bad thing?
No, a little bees wax worked in properly will be fine.
Fully saturating a piece with bees wax to harden the leather form is what leads to the question of the original post.
I think the term for the lesson is "technique"(?)

Back