• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some more flame....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertdeans72

36 Cal.
Reaction score
misc080.jpg

misc075_04.jpg

A couple more clouds of flame and smoke...
Rob

:applause: Great pics Rob. Got a question for you. In the first pic, the one where you are standing, I can see what appears to be a shiny object 10-15 feet down range from the muzzle. Is this the ball(bullet)?If it is (and not just some dirt on my moniter :rotf: ) what caliber are you shooting , and what do you think the muzzle velocity is?
Soggy

Rob, I got the same piece of dirt on my moniter also!! :shocked2::applause:
That's unreal! Super pic.. what kind of camera did ya use?? Digital, SLR, asa, lens & apature setting, ect. If ya don't mind. :thumbsup:
Jim

sniper68 said:
Rob, I got the same piece of dirt on my moniter also!! :shocked2:
Here too. Saved it and opened it up with something else to zoom in on it... sure looks like a ball to me! What caliber is that thing? Looks pretty big.

that would be an awful big ball at the distance, But I have been wrong before,, really,,

Well, I ran a string from the breech of the musket out to the ball when I put the picture on Paint and there is still a direct line between the two points. I'd say that at that range, a patch would have already deviated from a straight path. Just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions!
:grin:

Rob,

WHAT were you shooting and what was the load? I'd like to show this to the gomers at the local ranges who whine about MY muzzle flash and vent flash! I used to shoot up to 140 gr. of FFFg GOEX in a heavy barrelled .54 flint, but now load about 100gr. FFg Swiss in a new one with a 44" "C" weight Dickert barrel. They used to call my old gun "that freakin' cannon"!

-Ray :grin:

Thanks for all the responses. These pictures looked so cool that I thought that others might think the same. They were taken with a digital camera and are stills from an avi movie that I took with that camera. The weapon is a India Pattern Brown Bess (from Loyalist Arms) shooting a traditional military style cartridge of 100 gr Fg behind an unpatched (except for the paper of the cartridge) .735 cast ball (lubed on the outside of the paper with shortening/beeswax). It ain't a tackdriver.....(a little tongue in cheek there..) but I shoot my black powder weapons in the most traditional way I can. With these cartridges, I seem to be able to replicate the historical accuracy of the time. The Bess is dangerous out to 100m or so and deadly for a man sized target to 50/75. We shoot at big targets (mostly steel and other resonating objects). So much of shooting Besses is feel and that only comes from lots of rounds down range... The location is excellent as it is not a range per se but is used by many for this purpose. There are plenty of targets to set up and plink at (even a few old cars) and you can shoot out to 200m (300 if you were to piquet the road and have radios...) As I said, excellent..... Thanks for all the responses.. Rob

Rob - Can you tell me what velocity you get from your load? I just put together a 75 rifle and wonder how fast the ball is going. The recoil in a nine pound rifle is kind of interesting. It pushes me back 2 inches but it's still a push not a punch. GC

Couldn't tell you what the velocity is.... No way to measure it. Its definately slow though. You can see the round through binos when shooting. The round is not patched with the obvious effect resulting.
Rob

Rob,
I can almost smell the B/P in the 2nd
picture! Thanks for sharing....
snake-eyes

what is the secret of gettign this type of pic? Is it just time your shutter finger with the same timing as the gun shooter? Do you have to take alot to get "just the right one"?

The pictures were taken with a digital camera and are stills from an .avi movie that I took with that camera.
Rob

Flashpanner -

Sony Cyber-shot cameras (my DSC-F717 at least), have what they call "burst mode". It will shoot a short set of frames 1/30 second apart. That's how I got my lock-spark avatar, and the shots I posted, one of which you borrowed for your avatar.

You need a photo editor (I use Photoshop Elements) to snip out the frames in the burst and use them separately, since the camera just makes a montage and ships it out as one photo.

Works great for this kind of stuff. You do have to get used to the lag, because it doesn't start snapping frames for a little bit after you push the button, so you have to practice. But then that's the beauty of digital cameras - it costs zippo to practice.

Here's a blunderbuss movie I shot with burst mode (actually I got my wife to do it). Posted it a while back, but can't find it in the archives.
BBuss.gif

Rob Deans said:
The pictures were taken with a digital camera and are stills from an .avi movie that I took with that camera.
Rob

So, is the supposed ball in the next frame? Enquiring minds beed to know :hatsoff:

I would say ................................

No. I must have hit the mouse button by accident while I was trimming the shot (there was a car on the extreme left) and it left one pixle of white at just the right place. Sorry to rain on the parade. I do think that if the camera had caught the ball at that moment of the firing, it would have been much closer to the muzzle as the powder had not yet finished burning at the moment.
Rob

Back