• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soft Dixie sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have bought an adjustable Hawken rear sight from Dixie Gun works, the sight is cast and requires some sanding and finishing, but that is not the problem.

The problem is that the metal is very soft and I believe that an adjustable sight should be like a spring so I can adjust the height of it more than one time.

Anybody who knows how to heat treat it so gets hard enough but not broke when I adjust it? :hmm:

/Johan

Hi; first go to the forum search , there you will find the way to heat treat steel. Its not hard, just fllow directions. Bob

You may be able to heat treat it to a spring temper but you may also have to live with what you have.

Not all steel will harden. If it was made out of a low carbon steel, your stuck. Even carburizing will not turn it into a spring.

If it was made out of a high carbon steel or a tool steel you should be able to heat treat it.

The best way to find out if it is hardenable is to try it.

Assuming it is an oil hardening tool steel, heat it to a bright red color and immediatly drop it into a can of motor oil.
After the smoke clears, fish it out and try to file it. If it is too hard to file easily, proceed to temper it.

If it files easily, clean it off and reheat it to a bright red color and drop it into a can of water. When it's cool, try to file it.
If it still files easily, then your stuck with a soft steel sight.

If either of the first two hardening attempts succeeds, you will need to temper it by placing it into a 450 degree oven for a few hours.
If you don't have an oven that reaches 450 degrees, you can sand the surface until it is a nice bright steel color. Then very slowly heat it with a propane torch. It will turn light yellow, dark yellow, purple/red then dark blue.
When it reaches the dark blue color, drop it into a can of motor oil and your done.

zonie :)

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try them but I am afraid that the sight is made of soft iron.

/Johan

Latest posts

Back