• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothrifle Pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli crowe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Post on Fowler Pics got me interested to see Pics of your Folks Smoothrifles.

Mine is a Jackie Brown 62/20 Virginia style with a 42" OTR Barrel and a Davis Early English Lock.

JbrownSmoothrifle003.jpg

You might be interested to see this original smooth rifle in 28 gauge. Barrel is 49 1/2" octagon, swamped, the bore begins to expand 1 1/2" from the muzzle and is 20 ga. at the muzzle.

The lock is of the Ketland "waterproof" type.

Smooth_rifleA.jpg

smoothrifle-2.jpg

Spence

I read somewhere in either CLA or KLA material that the general consensus on smooth rifles with full oct. barrels is that they were initially smaller rifles that were bored out smooth when the big game was all gone and the smoothbore was better for the remaining small game and birds. Is there any evidence that yours may have been originally a rifle. If not, I'm sure those boys over at the KLA or CLA would love to see your gun.

My main gun is also a Jackie Brown .62/20 ga., 46" OTR barrel, large Siler lock.

SB.jpg

Spence

smoothbore addict said:
Is there any evidence that yours may have been originally a rifle. If not, I'm sure those boys over at the KLA or CLA would love to see your gun.
There is no evidence the gun has ever been rifled which I can find. However, the barrel on the gun is from rev. war period, so I don't know that you can put much faith in that as evidence after such a long time of use. This gun was discussed extensively here on the forum, and member J. V. Puleo was firm in his opinion that the long barrel wouldn't have been found on a rifle. I'm not qualified to make that judgement, but I do know that if you look through any extensive collection of "rifles", such as Kindig's, you find a lot of rifles with full octagonal barrels and smooth bores, many of them said to have been originally that way. Also, I've never seen reference to rifles having that strong bell at the muzzle, but it was a common belief as early as late 17th century that it helped distribute shot evenly.

It's a lovely old gun and a joy to shoot, whatever its history.

Spence

I do not believe that there is anything definate that tells us that all smoothriffles were oct to round. Much of that comes from the fact that the fowlers and trade guns and other no rifled guns were oct to round. When using the concept that a smoothrifle is a gun with the "rifle" traits but no rifleinhg then the full oct really fits the bill more than the oct to round. I think we cannot rule out the existance of any full oct smoothrifles being made thusely fropm the begining. We can not really tell with certainly which guns have been freshed and to what extent, I like to look a the breech size vs bore size and one does see some patterns, such as a very small,breech being a large smoothbore (likley freshed smooth. One can compare various guns of a similar call by the same builder for examples of consistancy as well, nothing but speculation but based on sensible parameters

Those are some nice looking Smoothies Guys.

Spence I like that original of yours and your JB. I wish I would have got that grade of Wood on mine.

Keb all three of yours are nice. I saw that top one pictured in your post awhile back over on Frontier Folk.

That one really drew some interest from a lot of people over there, me included, that mistakenly thought it was an original.It is a very nice SR.

Doc nice looking JB you have there too.

Keep them Pics coming, I would like to see what else is out there. I am thinking about getting another one and looking for ideas.

Eli

Llewlnman; The John Dodd gun is an excellent gun, IMHO. It has 48" x .65cal. double tapered octagon barrel. Shoots sweet.
Oh, I got more:
This is the Ultimate Squirrel Gun. It's a .20 caliber smooth rifle. I've posted it before.
UltSqu005.jpg

UltSqu004.jpg

UltSqu003.jpg

UltSqu002.jpg

UltSqu001.jpg

UltSqu007.jpg

More John Dodd pics:
Dodd01.jpg

Dodd02.jpg

Dodd03.jpg

Dodd04.jpg

Dodd05.jpg

Dodd07.jpg

I took more pictures of my Valentine's gun. I'm still no photographer. :/

Walnut stocked .62 x 44" Colerain bbl. 12 3/4" trigger pull. Iron rifle butt plate & side plate, fowler TG & pipes. All iron fittings browned. Barrel cold blued. Lock left bright. There is some weird grain going on in the wood as seen in 3rd picture.
62003.jpg

62004.jpg

62005.jpg

62006.jpg

This is mine. Not nearly as fancy as the ones posted so far, but it does what I need it to til I can afford to get a more historically accurate one. All this is is a Lyman GPR flinter with a Green Mountain .54 smoothbore barrel fitted to it. Not fancy, and definitely doesn't swing as smoothly as a fowler with a rear sight mounted, but it hangs on target well and that works for my needs and the way I hunt (when and where I can't use a rifle)--but this smoothie is growing on me and gets more and more use it seems.

P1270022.jpg

P1270023.jpg

My .52 cal., 36", 6 lb. "Sweetpea" smoothrifle. She's plain but what a sweet shooter. If I had to sell all my guns but one, this is the one I'd keep.
Deadeye
008-2.jpg

keb - Is that wheat carved on your John Dodd? Was this a common carving? I'm unfamiliar with that particular gun, but at any rate I can't recall ever seeing that before.

It looks great!

.54cal smoothbore Virginia...arrival photo and first hunting season

A-03121154calVirginiaRightFull.jpg

11091154cal-28gaSmoothboreVirginia8PointerDarker.jpg

.62cal smoothbore Virginia...arrival photo and first hunting season

1FullRightbuttangle.jpg

A10121062cal10Pointersomedarker.jpg

Back