• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Shooting undersize balls for accuracy ...??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched your video. The patch and the wads for .60 round ball seemed pretty close in accuracy. I wonder how they would compare at 50 yards.

He has risen..!! Happy Easter to all.
I'm fulfilling another request this week.
I'm trying undersized round balls for accuracy in a smoothbore.
Results below:

I have shot my bess in competiton against rifles and held my own even won a couple. Those were at 25 yrds. But I did like ringing the 100 yrs.
gong. I found I could use "naked ball"...no patch. Or paper cartridges......seldom a patched round ball. I had nothing to do but practice and above all I had nobody shooting at me. After ten years I switched back to rifles.

The video somewhat replicated the results I've observed with patched vs. non patched ball. Although I got generally better accuracy both with loads and the .600" ball my gun has a rear sight that makes a big difference. And as in the video the difference between prb and the bare ball with wads was fairly modest accuracy wise.

The video somewhat replicated the results I've observed with patched vs. non patched ball. Although I got generally better accuracy both with loads and the .600" ball my gun has a rear sight that makes a big difference. And as in the video the difference between prb and the bare ball with wads was fairly modest accuracy wise.
Yes, I used a 735 naked ball and 697 in my paper cartridges. It's been a long time since I fired that canon. Which reminds me that I should
get it dirty again. I think I will cut down the powder charge......These are a couple targets I shot against rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 0
Enjoyed the video, Mark. Your results with the patched and then wadded .600" ball loads compare favorably to mine. Difference is I use a .610" ball. I'd say try the patched and unpatched .600" ball loads at 50 yds. and show us how that worked.

Enjoyed the video, Mark. Your results with the patched and then wadded .600" ball loads compare favorably to mine. Difference is I use a .610" ball. I'd say try the patched and unpatched .600" ball loads at 50 yds. and show us how that worked.
50 yards....???
You're not asking for much are you??? LOL
I'd be lucky to hit the paper that far out!!!

However, I'm up for the challenge!
I'll try to get that one done soon....
( I may get larger paper targets! )

Back