• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a GM 62cal Smoothbore barrel. I would probably jug choke it so I could use for turkey and waterfoul with tighter patterns. I would also want to shoot roundball out of it for elk. Could I shoot roundball through it with a jug choke? I am guessing I could shoot roundballs out to about 50yds with it. I would want a decent charge for elk hunting with it so what kind of charges do they like?

I already answered his other questions via PMs except for the Elk...I had no idea and told him to post those kind of questions on the forum (never hunted Elk)...must be some Elk hunters out here somewhere

roundball said:
I already answered his other questions via PMs except for the Elk...I had no idea and told him to post those kind of questions on the forum (never hunted Elk)...must be some Elk hunters out here somewhere
Hey Roundball please share. I for one appreciate your knowledge. I was thinking the same thing about jug-chokes and roundballs.

I would think it might depend on the size and shape of the barrel ( harmonics) the shape and length of the jug choke, and how much choke is put in the gun barrel. You have to expect that some of the patching is going to open when it enters the choke area, and then be squeezed back against the ball when it comes out of the choke, If an edge gets folded back enough to allow gas blow by, accuracy would suffer. I am not sure this condition would actually occur, as I am thinking that the gases pushing against the PRB as it goes down the barrel would equalize pressure enough that the patch would not slip backwards on the ball. A few shots, and reading the patches would tell the tale, however. One could use fillers between the ball and powder to prevent gases from escaping around the choke to cut the patch and ball, and that would probably eliminate any problem. However, HOW MUCH wad or filler would be require might depend on the length and depth of the jug choke.

I for one, am intrigued by the idea of using a shot cup. I read recently on this forum where someone was getting good groups by using an undersize ball and a plastic shot cup. Made me think.

My experience with shot cups and undersized balls does not bear out any better accuracy. The plastic cups do prevent lead build up in the barrel, but then you have to deal with plastic build up, and that can be just as insidious, and detrimental to accuracy. In a hunting situation, where only a couple of rounds will be fired, that is not much of a problem. However, for any kind of extended range session, be sure to take your lead and plastic solvents, and a bore brush to work over the barrel every 3-5 shots.

A round ball is a round ball is a round ball. Reducing the size of the ball does not improve its ballistics. Wrapping it in some kind of cup does not change its limited flight characteristics. Its a Knuckle Ball, in Baseball parlance.

I was hoping that a felt wad would cut down on some of the plastic fouling. I quit using them quickly when I first got my 12. I hated cleaning that *@#%& out of my bore.Still I thought it worth a try. The fun is in the load workup for me.

The only way I have found to cut the plastic fouling, is to lube the barrel after seating the shotcup. That provides a pretty good slick surface for the cup to slide over, rather than rub against. You might try that technique in your gun and see what happens. Use a good lube like Wonderlube, or Stumpy's Moose Snot. I found that after several shots, the lube seemed to imbed itself into the metal of the bore, and make the barrel feel smoother even when loading the first wads.

slowpokebr549 said:
I for one, am intrigued by the idea of using a shot cup. I read recently on this forum where someone was getting good groups by using an undersize ball and a plastic shot cup. Made me think.
That was my post Slowpoke. I've gotten good results from several different 12 gauge guns with a .648" ball in a plastic shotcup. I did this only because I happened to have the Lyman .648" mold I had purchased for a 16 gauge trade gun. It worked very nicely but I gave away that mold and Lyman no longer lists that size. :cursing:

I'd say the jury is still out on the question of jug choke accuracy, some say it does no harm but in my experience with just one barrel, groups did open up. I do know that any inconsistency in the bore of a rifle makes for poor shooting and I don't see why that would not also apply to a smoothbore. By inconsistency in a rifle bore I mean shots which are .001-.002" tighter or looser than the average. With a jug choke you are speaking of .005-.045" over bore, I sure don't see how that could help the accuracy of a patched ball.

Forget that I will be using for elk.

My question is, can you shoot roundball out of a barrel with a jug choke?

What kind of powder charges do these GM smoothbores like?

Thanks for the help! :grin:

Sorry for asking questions guys. Roundball pointed out that I have asked the same question over and over again for the past few months. I did not realize. Sorry

CoyoteJoe said:
slowpokebr549 said:
I did this only because I happened to have the Lyman .648" mold I had purchased for a 16 gauge trade gun. It worked very nicely but I gave away that mold and Lyman no longer lists that size. :cursing:

I got one from Jeff Tanner for my 16ga. Excellent quality and service and a good price.
http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

Joel

Back