• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore newbie silly question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guys I have only had experience with rifled muzzleloader's but have been bitten by the smoothbore bug. Maybe a silly question but can I get a smoothbore in a .62 cal that has a fully octagon barrel instead of the round or octagon to round barrel that I see on all of them?

Octagon smooth bore barrelIs can be found on smooth rifles (guns that look like a rifle but are actually a smooth bore). But these are low demand barrels and you might have to have it custom made. If none are available I am sure that you could have an octagon barrel bored out. The problem (other than the cost of having the work done) is that it would be heavier than a round or octagon to round and would make the gun more unwieldy on flying birds, especially in larger bore sizes. For a .62 & up, I would go with a tapered round or octagon to round barrel.

I have one on a smoothrifle that was made by Rice. It is indeed heavy, but I use more for ball than shot.

I like the look of a full octagon better, and that may be your feeling too . . . but the Oct to Round I have from Rice is growing on me with my PA fowler.

Many original "smooth rifles" had oct to rnd barrels. I have a rear sight on my smoothbore with octagon to round barrel; It's light and I like it a lot.

Oak Walker said:
Maybe a silly question but can I get a smoothbore in a .62 cal that has a fully octagon barrel instead of the round or octagon to round barrel that I see on all of them?
The beauty of smoothbores is that they are light and can be swung like a shotgun. Why ever would you want one with a nose-heavy, blocky, clunky, full-octagon barrel....?

Black Hand said:
Why ever would you want one with a nose-heavy, blocky, clunky, full-octagon barrel....?
That's a good description of what's available today, but not for original guns, IMHO. I have an original 28 gauge smoothbore with a 49.5", swamped, full octagon barrel which is a delight to handle, well balanced, overall weight less than 7 pounds. Not a gun you would choose for jump-shooting anything, because of the long barrel, but a real joy at any other job.

I think the same thing is true today for round, smooth barrels for fowling pieces. In today's market, you can't buy one like the originals, and what's offered as a "replica" is nothing of the sort.

Spence

Well let's talk about what's "out there", OK?

Colerain makes a .58 caliber 36" straight side, octagon barrel for $185 and the same thing in 42" for $200 from Track of the Wolf. Send it to Mr. Hoyt to have it converted to .62 and you're talking $260-$285 plus shipping both ways.

Colerain also makes their "Edward Marshall" rifle barrel in .58, swamped, octagon, and it might be thick enough to be converted to a smooth .62. It runs $215 from Track of The Wolf.

That's a lot higher in price than simply accepting an octagon to round smoothbore barrel, and it might be the only way to get a gun that fits a certain area and time period.

So that leaves either a pricey, custom option, OR you search for a 1" wide, .54 caliber used rifle, say something from TC in a Hawken, and see if Bob Hoyt can bore that out for you. Not super authentic, but short, probably light, and a .62 smooth rifle for not a whole lot of money.

LD

Back