• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore makes meat…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice buck, they are getting harder to find these days with prime ground going to the developers.

Here's one I got a few years ago, shot near Estes Park CO. Heavy buck, well feed with a nice rack.

Attachments

• Mulie (2).jpg
    Mulie (2).jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I saw this buck around 08:30 this morning he crossed 75 yards or so out along the edge of a thicket only too disappear into a deep hollow..

I hit my grunt call a few times & threw in a few doe bleats just for good measure and settled back thinking he had wandered away..

Well at 08:45 he just had too come see what the excitement was all about..

25 yard shot with my Tip Curtis 16 gauge smoothbore..
70 grns fffg Goex & a patched .626 roundball.
This was my fist smoothbore deer.😁👍View attachment 269691View attachment 269692View attachment 269693
Absolutely wonderful kill, love the smoothbores

When my home state decided to allow BP hunting, a smoothbore only was required. I have an original 16 Ga. percussion in fine condition so I miked the bore and gently rolled 12 Ga. 1 oz.Foster slugs between two pieces of heavy steel until they were bore diameter for the 16. They looked like a huge wadcutter when I was done. I lubed them with bore butter and loaded them over a 16 Ga. Power Piston and 70 Grs. of Goex FFG. They shot dead center at 25 yds in a 2-1/2" group using the bead front and a spot of white nail polish at the back. I never did see a deer to shoot at but I have no doubt about the results if I had connected with one. After the season was over I discovered that Round Balls only were required. Oh well, now that it's legal I could use it but the Renegade my wife gave me for Christmas the following year shoots a lot better. That elongated 1 oz. Foster slug certainly certainly flew well enough to get the job done!

Congrats on the fine kill and a fine hunt there smo. You did good.

Your due diligence payed off. Perfect shot placement to put one down on the spot as well.

Last edited:
You have impeccable taste in firearms, Smo. What a fine shot and handsome buck. Having spent most of my life in the brushy evergreen conifer forests of the Northwest, I'd love to hunt with a flintlock in the open grace of an eastern hardwood forest in fall. Doubt it will ever happen. All y'all who take this for granted -- don't.

I saw this buck around 08:30 this morning he crossed 75 yards or so out along the edge of a thicket only too disappear into a deep hollow..

I hit my grunt call a few times & threw in a few doe bleats just for good measure and settled back thinking he had wandered away..

This was my fist smoothbore deer.😁👍View attachment 269691View attachment 269692View attachment 269693

Thats a nice one, good job

Congratulations! Good looking buck!!

Latest posts

Back