• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Smoothbore Baker Rifle w/Bayonet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
REDUCED This is a Near Mint, unfired smoothbore replica of the famed Baker Rifle. These are made in India and finished and upgraded by a couple of US companies. The 31" browned barrel has a few minor handling marks and pristine bore. A couple of age spots! Caliber is .62. Two leaf rear sight and brass blade front sight. Hardwood stock is brass fitted and has only minor handling marks. The lock is marked Crown VR and TOWER. It sparks very well and only mark on frizzen is one I made to test. Comes with unsharpened sword bayonet in brass fitted leather scabbard. Bayonet mounts on barrel lug, but is sloppy as I have heard is typical of these. A really nice reenactor piece that could be rifled for better accuracy and competition. $900 + Shipping. These appear to be on backorder at all outlets. Why wait.

20230426_080539.jpg
20230426_080640.jpg
20230426_080655.jpg
20230426_081018.jpg
20230426_081026.jpg
20230426_080706.jpg
20230426_080759.jpg
20230426_080818.jpg
20230426_080844.jpg
20230426_081231.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered how the India guns were
FWIW I have a Baker made in India and while quality may vary amongst makers over there, it is a faithful replica (less the smoothbore) when put along side TRS built kits, as 2 friends just built TRS ones and they were stunned. But of course mine is a smoothbore, due to Indian export laws that won't allow them to make rifled barrels.

It is what it is, but it has been fine. Proofed the barrel with a double-ball double-charge and all is well ... swell. No changes in measurements, no swelling LOL, and checked to the 0.0001 of an inch. I'm in the process now of getting a rifled barrel for it.

Yes, I had to tune the lock, but then again I've tuned EVERY lock I own less those personally made by Mike Rowe (not the TV 'Mike Rowe') when Mike worked for Danny Caywood.

FWIW I have a Baker made in India and while quality may vary amongst makers over there, it is a faithful replica (less the smoothbore) when put along side TRS built kits, as 2 friends just built TRS ones and they were stunned. But of course mine is a smoothbore, due to Indian export laws that won't allow them to make rifled barrels.

It is what it is, but it has been fine. Proofed the barrel with a double-ball double-charge and all is well ... swell. No changes in measurements, no swelling LOL, and checked to the 0.0001 of an inch. I'm in the process now of getting a rifled barrel for it.

Yes, I had to tune the lock, but then again I've tuned EVERY lock I own less those personally made by Mike Rowe (not the TV 'Mike Rowe') when Mike worked for Danny Caywood.

Come on man, to say it measures up to a rifle shoppe baker rifle is just nonsense. Rifle shoppe bakers are kits are very nice guns, the patch boxes are the correct lengths, the barrels are right…. American walnut vs. teak…. You’re talking about a completed gun that’s got a shelf value of nearly 3k. Made by a poor builder… they still fetch 1500-2500.

There’s no need to convince yourself you made the right decision, as long as you are happy with the Indian baker that’s all that matters.

FYI I’d get a rifled liner, not a new barrel.

Have experienced two Indian made. Locks sucked.

I do a lot of work on Indian locks, they can be made into decent working locks, but aesthetically they don’t measure up to the originals. They’are about a 50% pattern of what they’re supposed or intended to be, and polished parts are wrong,

Read a thread on this very site where a gentleman said his Indian Baker shot better than his custom - and much more expensive - one. YMMV.

Custom gun qualities are with the builder, not the parts.

You need to find a builder that knows the gun you’re building, knows the history and pattern.

I do a lot of work on Indian locks, they can be made into decent working locks, but aesthetically they don’t measure up to the originals. They’are about a 50% pattern of what they’re supposed or intended to be, and polished parts are wrong,
I agree. I also do quite a bit of work on India Made Guns. You're correct, most are a loose representation of what they are supposed to be, and the lock needs work to function reasonably. However, after that, they are pretty nice muskets for the price. I personally own several and they do the job. Semper Fi.

Maybe I should have posted this over in the Smoothbore discussion section.
Gentlemen, This has all been fascinating (and I mean that), but remember this is a for sale ad, and it is being hijacked with a lot of discussion that would probably be better in a different part of the Forum. I’m not trying to be a “hall monitor,” but please let BSR sell his Baker, and only ask further questions/make further comments if you are interested in buying it. Respectfully submitted, ‘Poet

Still waiting on the importer.
No indication anywhere on gun as to importer, that I can tell. Photos of every mark on barrel. Same 77 or 11 on stock inside inlet areas. If anyone has a clue as to importer, I'm all eyes. But not like in The Crawling Eye.
20230428_081153.jpg
20230428_081200.jpg
20230428_081205.jpg
20230428_081213.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back