• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smooth bores & sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does a rifle type smooth bore have back sights does one use the same type of barrel to build a smooth bore rifle or a fusil. Does a fusil carry back sights .In a far futur a would like to make a.54 smooth barrel rifle and a .62 fusil. Just whant to make sure i understand the building schematic of these two creatures.What is the standard barrel lenght for a fusil and because i would like to shoot ball and shot does one choke the barrel.

This is one of those never ending cussin' and discussin' subjects. Generally speaking, a smoothie with a rear sight is often/sometimes called a 'smooth rifle'. Some trade type muskets did have rear sights. In the history of firearms there is little that wasn't tried at one time or another. These days, the
rule is smoothy type guns must not have a rear sight to be acceptable in most trade gun type matches. Ain't no law telling you rear sights cannot be placed on a smoothie. But you may be turned away at some competitions and/or the jug won't come yer way at the campfire. :wink:

I think if looking to be historicaly accurate the first thing to do is choose a particular fusil froma specific time/place of manufacture within a decade or so that will give you the architecture,typical barel length and bore size options rear sights can be placed on most types without to much of a squabble about HC/PC, then the type of sigth will be needed to be made this also can be done after the first two mentioned traits are made, if one wants a smoothrifle that is another critter, with a heavier barrel, rifle architecture and traits such as cheek piece,bow in trigger guard, patchbox and of course rear sight and bore size some rifle traits wee omited in some smoothrifles, this is just a very Basic check list to get you to a point where you can look at some of the options that you would have if historical accuray is of value, if not or at a very limited level many other doors will open and it would be hard to make something that is "wrong"
others with much more gun background than I may chime in and give you further guidance on this topic, there are many here who have years of research and gun building under their belts of where ever they keep it,good luck on the project.

What is the standard barrel lenght for a fusil and because i would like to shoot ball and shot does one choke the barrel

You can choose a barrel anywhere from 30" to 60" and still be 'authentic'. However, most were in the 36" to 42" range. Pick yer pizzen to suit yerself.
A choked barrel is not conducive to loading a ball and probably would impair accuracy. Read a lot of the posts here. Most smoothie fans hunt with great success, using both shot and ball (not at the same time. :wink: ) And few, very-very few, have choked barrels.

A choked barrel is not conducive to loading a ball and probably would impair accuracy.

I've shot ball loads out of two different choked guns so far and both are quite accurate. I also know of a couple of members here who also have no problem shooting from a jug choked gun.

I have a 55% jug choke in my 12 bore New Englander (bead front, no rear sight, 28" bbl) and I did two offhand shots at a 50 yard target for a shoot last week for this:

HPIM2595.jpg

(Third hole was the pistol ball). A swaged or tapered choke may not work so well.

On the other hand . . . most of what folks would call a "fusil" predated chokes of any kind my many, many years.

Back