• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke Pole Seasons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in Nebraska we get the first 25 days of December to hunt strictly with a smoke pole.

Unfortunately, money talks and we have no primative season. I am in the process of trying to get our local smokepole clubs to lobby with the legislation to create a primative season.

My qestions are these:

What state do you live in?

What time of the year & how many days is your muzzle loader season?

Do you have a primative season only?

Thanks,

ball-et

Ohio, 2 days in mid october(new this year) and 3 days in January.....and its open to all front stuffers.....even the unmentionable ones!

In Kentucky we have 2 days in October, 8 days in mid December. It's not primitive, allows any muzzleloader, scopes, etc.

Spence

Seven days here in Oklahoma. Oct 26th thru Nov.3rd. 2 does and 1 buck allowed. Sharing season with archery.
As an added kicker...you can hunt with your smoke pole during the regular gun season also. 2 does and 1 buck. Sharing season with archery.
Archery is the longest season here. 2 does and 1 buck.
Total harvest for the year....9 deer. Plus more if you are drawn for a controlled hunt.

It depends on where you hunt in Washington state. They have the area cut up into a bunch of different game management units.

In the area that I will hunt, we have 10 days of Muzzle loading season. Oct 28th till September 6th.

The province of Alberta Canada has NO muzzle-loading seasons. The closest are anything-but-centrefire seasons in December in otherwise-bows-only WMUs around out two largest cities. So we just use ours mostly in rifle season.

Regards,
Joel

Maryland we get 3 days in October, and then two weeks at the end of December. No "primitive" season.

Now in Alabama, they allow single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger), during "primitive" season, so you see a lot of .35 Whelen and .45-70 Govt. NEF Handi-rifles down there.

Why do I mention this?

Well the loss of what was once defined to be what we call a "primitive" firearm season is due, mostly, to the need for higher deer harvests to control the herd in each state. Add to that the sales pitch from the modern manufacturing folks that using muzzleloading rifles that look like modern rifles means more folks will use muzzleloaders and thus harvest more deer, and voila..., you have a muzzleloader season, not a primitive season.

Want to change this?

Fist, STOP calling it "primitive". Anti-hunters use semantics as a weapon against us, so we now know to use the phrase "deer harvest". They will use the word "primitive" to sell the idea that such firearms are inhumanely ineffective, and the modern users use the term to imply vintage rifle designs are unreliable and inaccurate. So omit "primitive", and add to that list "antique" and "vintage". Go with traditional.

To get the folks currently using modern muzzleloaders into traditional designed rifles, you don't need a new season..., you need to give them an advantage. That's how the original "muzzleloader season" often got newbies..., the original advantage was an extended season i.e. a chance at harvesting more deer. So do the same now...

Instead of lobbying for a special restricted season..., lobby for additional deer for anybody using a traditional rifle or smoothbore first. States have limits for bow, breechloaders, and muzzleloaders, it's much easier (imho) to sell the idea of increasing the bag limit for folks who use a traditional rifle than to get a special season first off. With an advantage restored to using traditional rifles, folks will gravitate to them, and should, in time, discover that the modern designs do not offer as much convenience, and have some disadvantages. (Wish there was an effective, inexpensive, factory built, traditional ML rifle for the market to defuse the "cost" argument :( .)

The state Department of Natural Resources will have to be keeping track of the extra deer that us folks are getting, then you can use that data to sell the idea of an early, say 3 day, traditional season, about two weeks prior to the breech loading season. Again, you have to have a DNR that will keep the data.

In the places where there was once a "primitive" or "traditional" muzzleloader season, these season were lost in increments..., so we are going to have to recover them in increments, instead of (imho) going-for-broke, and getting a restricted special season.

LD

Oregon.
1st week of December.
Primitive only.

Personally id rather share a longer season with in-lines then play moral superiority with a shorter season.

In Minnesota the muzzle loading season usually starts the Saturday after thanksgiving and runs for 16 days.

Guns must be incapable of being loaded at the breech, use only open sights (peep sights are legal). Rifled barrels must be at least 40 cal., smoothbores at least 45 cal.

Muzzle loading handguns are legal but revolvers are not!

You may harvest between 1 and 5 deer depending on the area hunted , only one can be antlered.

SC45-70

Mississippi...we have a primitive season but its a joke...breach loaders are now defined as "primitive" 45.70, etc. No one hunts traditional anymore. Now our legislature is considering all rifles being allowed during "primitive season". Just of few of us dinosaurs left!

Minnesota Addendum: You may hunt any one of the normal firearms seasons with muzzleloader (including scopes) following the same rules.

If you don't mind competing with all firearms, this can put you smack-dab in the middle of the rut with your trusty traditional firearm in hand. :thumbsup: And if you don't score, or have doe tags to fill, you can still hunt the late muzzleloader only season.

Nevada deer/elk/antelope is all controlled by lottery drawings by areas. Season starts in mid Sept. open for ANY ML---no scopes

The muzzleloading only season in Minnesota is sort of a cruel joke.

As Spikebuck and others said, the timing of the muzzleloading only season, begins in late November, the Minnesota transition from chilly/wet to sometimes 0F and 2 feet of snow and no sign of the sun. It can also be beautiful, reasonably warm, like 20F, and bare ground, and bright cloudless days. One never knows as weather conditions can change in a matter of hours. Generally, the rut is done, and the less-wary deer are already harvested.

The Minnesota muzzleloading season is state wide, whereas the "firearms" season has 100's of zones with varying deer harvest regulations. During the "firearms" season, many parts of the state only allow a shotgun with a slug ... but you can shoot a muzzleloader with a rifled barrel in the same area.

Virginia has basically 2 zones. East of Blue Ridge and West of Blue Ridge.

East ML only season is 1st 2 weeks of November. In all the counties I know of but one a ML is also legal during the 7 week "firearms" season and most counties are shotgun and ML only, no CF rifle.

West of Blue Ridge ML only season is 2nd week of November and then some seasons later after the 2 week firearms season which is mostly rifle and shotgun and ML also legal.

Daily limit is 2 deer. Season limit is 3 bucks a year and in most places unlimited antlerless on private land and some public land.

NON-resident lic. $111 season or $60 for 3 day. PLUS $86 for deer-bear-turkey tags PLUS $31 for ML license needed for special ML seasons only.

For ML any single barrel ML loading down the barrel, 45 cal minimum barrel and "38" caliber minimum projectile, 50 grain black powder or equal of substitute minimum powder charge.

Inlines, sabots, jacketed bullets, scopes, electronic sights, pellets and smokeless ML not prohibited(allowed).

AND all counties xcept 1 East of Blue Ridge allow deer hunting with dogs/hounds in regular firearms season. Bet that starts the howling and gnashing of teeth.

I hunt archery, ML and firearms seasons and after the 1st week of firearms season you will not see deer unless you hunt with dogs/hounds or man drive.

The ML season falls right in the heart of rut and it is very popular with hunters. Seeing a traditional ML in the Eastern region during hunting season is pretty rare nowadays. I don't know about the western area as I haven't hunted out that way for over 10 years.

There has been talk of a "primitive" ML season in January for "traditional" and for antlerless only but there is a lot of resistance to that as many of the bucks have dropped antlers then.

I also hunt NC and MD but the guys from there can post their own comments and regs.

Plunder

Texas has a 10 day season which usually starts on the second Sat of Jan. I would rather have an early season.

Two weeks here in NC and depending upon where you live it comes in late September or late October...

It's sandwiched between bow and modern gun seasons...

mrfishnhunt said:
Texas has a 10 day season which usually starts on the second Sat of Jan. I would rather have an early season.

I have never seen the need for a special M/L season in Texas.

Not all counties have a M/L season.

Depending if you hunt MDL in October, general gun season in Nov. to Dec. (60 days or more) you have way over 60 days to hunt with a M/L.

Most deer leases are empty after Thanksgiving except those in far south Texas where the rut does not start until 15 Dec. or so. You either have your limit or the wife has limited your time.

In you cannot kill a deer in 70 days, I doubt a person will get one in the M/L season.

Here in TN, we have archery/muzzleloader season which runs from Nov. 9-22. Then it becomes gun/muzzleloader/archery from Nov. 23-Jan.5. Our muzzeloader season is not primitive and allows inlines to be used. The good news is that I hunt with my muzzleloader during the gun season as well.

Jeff

Back