• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke on the Mountain!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Come join us for the first muzzleloading Woodswalk at VOD Tactical range in Old Fort, NC!

Event is on Saturday, October 21, 2023. We'll have a 15-shot course with targets ranging from 20 to 150 yards. Shoot is open to flintlock and percussion rifles & smoothbores; no inlines, smokeless powder muzzleloaders or breech-loaders this time.

While we're happy to see you in historical regalia, jeans and running shoes are also welcome. Scoring is hits only, no time pressure. Prizes include entertainment, excercise, and braggin' rights!

There will be an introduction and mandatory safety brief at 8:30AM, then we hit the trail and start makin' smoke at 9:00. We'll have a few shooting games after the event for those who'd like to maximize their trigger time.

Bring lunch/snacks and drinks for the shoot, but there are restaurant options in town about 15 minutes away. Camping is available the night before.

Cost is $25 and registration via Practiscore.com. Location is 438 Walker Dr., Old Fort, NC, 28762.

Please PM me with any questions.

Hope to see you there!

Sounds like a blast, and normally I could make it. I will be attending the state shoot in Georgia that weekend.

I hope to see pics of this course, so I can see whats there to shoot??? 150yds? What is that getting shot at?

Practice Score, what category do they have or use for black powder matches?

Sounds like a blast, and normally I could make it. I will be attending the state shoot in Georgia that weekend.

I hope to see pics of this course, so I can see whats there to shoot??? 150yds? What is that getting shot at?

State shoot is September I believe down at Brushy Creek?

Hey Mule! Hope you can make it. We just put it up in Practicescore as a(nother) match because the method is "the usual" at VOD.

I don't know that PS has a BP or ML category, but since this is not associated with any organization, it doesn't seem to matter.

This one is about fun & fellowship!

Plenty of spots left!

We're working on a few one-bay shooting games to amuse folks who want a little more than the 15 targets. Split-the-axe is one idea, another was a two-man shoot: 1st shooter knocks target A out of the way, shooter 2 hits the hidden one... Open to your ideas.

There's also one 150-yd shot on the woodswalk!

The idea is we want to mix it up and try a few things outside of folks' comfort zones in a pressure-free, fun environment. There's nothing to win, so what have you got to lose? :)

Camping is free...

We had an interested group come flocking to check out the campsite in advance of the Woodswalk.

Inexplicably, none of them have signed up yet.

Flocking to the Woodswalk!.jpg

Perhaps they are unfamiliar with the modern way of the internet sign-up sheet.

Home | PractiScore (Accounts are free, and I've never had any trouble with spam or unwanted contacts from Practicescore.)

Saturday, October 21.

Got in a little more practice, a sizeable dose of camaradarie (read: the ritual good-natured giving of [bleep]), plus an introductory shooting session for a new black powder shooter yesterday!

First shot:
Chris ML 2.jpg

He said he's hooked!

Another friend shooting my Pattern 1858 Enfield:
Gary w my 1858 Enfield.jpg

I'm looking forward to shooting with them Saturday.

@windini , thank your for the intro to BP shooting. It’s the most fun I’ve had shooting in years. I’m not sure why I never knew muzzleloader shooting was this much fun. I’m thinking a long rifle, revolver, maybe even a BP shotgun is in my future.

Hey folks, just a reminder that Smoke on the Mountain is happening this Saturday, Oct. 21. Still room for campers and shooters, and we're anticipating great weather! Come on out and join the fun.

We added a Day-of registration option; through some internal miscommunication (aka "what? huh?" :) ), it was only added to the Practiscore pre-registration page. On the bright side, there was gonna be a $5 upcharge for the day of event registration, but that didn't happen! So don't worry, we'll welcome you if don't pre-register (just bring cash, please; the range isn't set up for CC's or checks for this event).

In any case, if registration through Practicescore is causing you any hesitation, please just reach out to me here or via PM/Conversation and I can walk you through it or make other arrangements. If you want to come shoot, we can make it happen.

The course will offer a variety of targets in diverse settings. Here are a few teaser pictures:

Bushwhacker!
Bushwhacker.jpg

Long Shots - we'll select 3 of these at varying ranges.
Long Shots.jpg

Turkey Shoot! (Ok; we'll probably switch this one to steel. Easier to hear a hit that way.)
Turkey Shoot.jpg

Near & Far; again, mngmt reserves the right to substitute target material.
Near & Far.jpg

Skinny Sammy lurking in the underbrush.
Skinny Sammy.jpg

Hope to see you Saturday!

Back