• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smallest caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the smallest caliber ML a person can buy? Just lookin for a plinking/target shooting rifle to enjoy.

TH

The smallest common muzzleloading rifle would be the .32 caliber gun.

Some folks shoot commercial .310 or .315 pure lead balls and some use #0 (.320) or #1 (.300) buckshot.

.32 cal is the smallest I've seen. I recamend the traditions crocket rifle. mine I shoot .311 cast round balls with a .010 patch and 15 grains of goex or 777 FFFg. shoots very nicely. and is very cheap to shoot.

Once or twice I've seen a 22 caliber percussion revolver. I own a 31 caliber revolver.
As to rifles, the smallest I've ever seen was a 29 caliber, and the smallest I've heard of were a few 25 calibers.
But as already stated, the smallest common caliber would be 32.

My dad once owned an original .28 caliber half-stock percussion but so far as I know there are no production rifles or barrels available smaller than .32 caliber.

There are some makers who turn out 25 caliber barrels, and guys who build rifles on them are really happy. But it's a purely custom deal. The 32 cal Crockett is the smallest factory build I know of.

Thanks for the responses. Now the big question. Can I get a drop in barrel for my T/C Hawken in 32 cal?

Green Mountain made them till recently, so they're floating around the used market. They have recently started turning out drop-in barrels again, so maybe they'll reappear new.

One downside. My hunting pard has one, and it's a crowbar. Heavy? That doesn't come close. Dandy range gun, but he packs something else when we climb the hills for snowshoe hare.

I got a 25 caliber rifled barrel from Ed Rayl and made myself a half stock rifle. It is fun to shoot and cheap to shoot. I bought a box of Horandy .250 buckshot. With a lb. of 3f and a box of balls I can shoot all year long.

Back