• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small skinner/gutter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybones

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A small skinning/gutting knife, white tail handle. Made from a garden hoe I bought up the street at a garage sale for a quarter. I got another scalper and a blade for a warclub and an arrowhead out of that hoe blade. I did a little heat treatment of my own on this one. Easy to sharpen, does hold an edge. I loaned it to a relative, it was used to gut and skin a large elk in nothing flat. The Rare times I go out to eat it makes short work of restaurant steak, besides being a cute conversation piece. I have affectionately named her Little B*tch.

Bones

62908107.jpg

How did you cut it? My wife is gonna be wondering where her garden hoe is come next spring . :haha:

Fisher, the blade is stabilized in the handle with hide glue and deer poop as a hardener after I hammer-pinned it, with the lack of strength in my hands sometimes I have to cheat. That is the lower right corner of the hoe blade, I cut it with a roto tool with a fiber wheel. I put the edge and did all the fine shaping with a hand file, stroke, stroke, stroke. I got a functioning hoe for .25 cents. It had the looks of being very old, I started scraping on the handle and it turned out to be the purtiest piece of 48 inch long ash you ever saw, I'm working it down for a lance shaft. another source of cool blades is old corn knives, like you cut down corn chucks with. Be nice to the missus, Injun Bible say, don't be scapled with own knife you just made.

Ugh

Bones

Chance, that little blade is sharp as a razor. I got that dime in some change at a tobacco shop back in 2009.

Bones

Back