• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Siler lock internals in Pedersoli Queen Anne Pistol Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Stines

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Might sound crazy but would this work ? Not impressed with the QA lock parts. Would like to replace the cock with a convex or round faced type. What is the throw of the Pedersoli cock ? Also thinking about replacing the frizzen and frizzen spring with something a bit more authentic. Has anyone out there done this ? What parts did you use ? Would it be practical to retap the lock plate for small Siler screws ? The pistols that I examined had a hard trigger pull (about 14 pounds plus)

Nothing is impossible if you have the talent, tools, money time and health to do the job.

Track of the wolf has a siler flintlock with a large oversized plate you can cut down to fit your mortise, but it ain’t cheap!

Years ago Track sold a replacement spring set, main & frizzen, for that lock which were much better than the factory ones. I put them in mine and it was an improvement but they aren't available now. I was never impressed with the lock or the entire gun and I had done a fair amount of work to mine. The tumbler was a poor fit in the plate and I reamed it and bushed it with a piece of brass tubing. I'm sure I had done other work to the lock but after about 25+ years I don't remember. I can't help with the hammer throw as I bent mine. I didn't like the way it met the frizzen no matter what I did with the flint so I heated it and bent it down till the lower jaw pointed to the center of the pan. I tested it a few times and it seemed OK so I put a new flint in it, tried it once and put it away till the match in a few days. I was able to fire one shot and then the flint shattered on the next. It seems likely that the flint struck the frizzen more on the top of the flint so I believe I bent it too far. I never fired it again and I was fairly disappointed with it overall which was too bad as I had high hopes of it becoming my smoothbore match pistol. It did balance and point very well.

Years ago Track sold a replacement spring set, main & frizzen, for that lock which were much better than the factory ones. I put them in mine and it was an improvement but they aren't available now. I was never impressed with the lock or the entire gun and I had done a fair amount of work to mine. The tumbler was a poor fit in the plate and I reamed it and bushed it with a piece of brass tubing. I'm sure I had done other work to the lock but after about 25+ years I don't remember. I can't help with the hammer throw as I bent mine. I didn't like the way it met the frizzen no matter what I did with the flint so I heated it and bent it down till the lower jaw pointed to the center of the pan. I tested it a few times and it seemed OK so I put a new flint in it, tried it once and put it away till the match in a few days. I was able to fire one shot and then the flint shattered on the next. It seems likely that the flint struck the frizzen more on the top of the flint so I believe I bent it too far. I never fired it again and I was fairly disappointed with it overall which was too bad as I had high hopes of it becoming my smoothbore match pistol. It did balance and point very well.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the cock stops short and seems to overshoot the pan. Maybe Pedersoli stopped the fall to keep the mainspring from smashing out the bottom of the lock mortice ??? I've watched the Mike Beliveau videos on that pistol. He seems to get good and fast ignition. He said that he polished the parts. He didn't mention case hardening the lock plate but I would think that would be manditory. I was thinking a round faced cock with better throw would improve looks AND performance. Maybe the Rifle Shoppe or Blackley would a better cock, frizzen and frizzen spring ??? Or am I polishing a dead horse ?

I don't know what the cock on the current ones looks like or even if they ever made a change (doubtful) but I was trying to correct a perceived issue with the cock. If I remember I felt the flint was meeting the frizzen at a less than ideal angle and possibly too high too though I'm not sure about the latter as it was many years ago. It's quite possible I saw the same thing as you have. I dug the gun out of it's place in the very back of my display case a few months and began to clean it up. My first thoughts were to rebend the cock and also look to see if I could find another that might work better. Again if I remember I had pretty well corrected any other issues with the lock and I didn't have any ignition issues as Zonie had mentioned in a couple of posts but if I get it running again I may do the mods he described. Correction, I had major ignition problems when I tried a 10 grain 3f charge but increasing the charge took care of that. No you aren't polishing a dead horse, I feel the gun can still be made into an excellent shooter it's just that I was so disappointed after the match I never touched it again except to move it when it was in the way. The pistol has extremely good balance and pointability (is that a word?). It's the flint equivalent of a Colt Navy to me. I did find one thing that bothered me with the stock and that is the moulding that runs along the bottom side of the stock below the lock. It bore down on the top of my trigger finger and as I squeezed the trigger it rolled the pistol up and to the left very slightly. I was seriously thinking of sanding that off for about an inch and a half.

The one I had cracked near the wood screw in the stock. Wood pin and epoxy and glass bedding worked but sold the gun anyway. The one I had used a swivel in the mainspring linked to tumbler. Brass barrel.

Back