• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SlixShot Sold out of Pietta Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So apparently SlixShot is out of their Pietta nipples which is what I really want. Their site is claiming they will be available late this month but considering manufacturing with Covid I don't have high hopes. What is another good source with a similar product?? I know Track of the Wolf has some but they appear to be of conventional design.

I purchased a set of replacement nipples for my Pietta .44 Colt. The #11 caps fit better on the replacement nipples than with the ones that come on the Pietta. I have to use #10 caps on the stock nipples. Track has a local machine shop make the replacements.
So you bought the "Track" nipples then?

So apparently SlixShot is out of their Pietta nipples which is what I really want. Their site is claiming they will be available late this month but considering manufacturing with Covid I don't have high hopes. What is another good source with a similar product?? I know Track of the Wolf has some but they appear to be of conventional design.

Treso are pretty good, not real found of the gold color but they have a good rep. Of course, I ve only had the gun out once and they got here the next day, but I'm looking forward to trying them out. They take #11 nipples.

Treso are pretty good, not real found of the gold color but they have a good rep. Of course, I ve only had the gun out once and they got here the next day, but I'm looking forward to trying them out. They take #11 nipples.
Yesterday, while searching the web I found a product that Ted Cash sells on his site called "Spitfire" nipples. They look like an interesting design and I may try some at some point. They don't appear to have one for Uberti's but there is a thread pitch for Pietta's.

1612293419243.png

1612293449929.png

Spitfire #11 Nipples | TDC - Cash Mfg

I checked out this nipple on the Ted Cash website and it looks interesting. Says that the nipple is 416 stainless steel and heat treated to 40/45 Rockwell hardness but is for #11 caps with no mention for use of a #10 cap. This is just conjecture, but I see possibly two downsides with the bored out flash hole with a large pocket in the nipple. The large nipple pocket might collect a lot of fouling to clean out after several cylinder loads and when cleaning the revolver after a shooting session. Also, this nipple possibly could act like a miniature stove with an unseen hot ember hidden in the pocket from residue left from a fired paper cartridge. This could fire off a new paper cartridge when reloading. Being a paper cartridge shooter, I always check for any embers left in a cylinder chamber so that I don't get a explosive surprise when I reload the next set of paper cartridges. Are there any forum members that can chime to this post that are using Ted Cash Spitfire nipples in their revolver with experience shooting paper cartridges?

Guys. I have never had a problem using #10 caps on my revolver's original nipples and keeping them clean. In fact, I enjoy it. Lets not lose sight of the point here. We are doing things the old fashioned way. For every piece of technology there is a skill and technique that it replaces which will forever be lost.

Guys. I have never had a problem using #10 caps on my revolver's original nipples and keeping them clean. In fact, I enjoy it. Lets not lose sight of the point here. We are doing things the old fashioned way. For every piece of technology there is a skill and technique that it replaces which will forever be lost.

Hmm, maybe shouldn't have had that third IPA. I think my opinion is showing. 🤣 sorry fellas

I think that third IPA resulted in a very legible, informative, and well thought out post. Only thing better would've been three bottles of Porter. :thumb:

The outside diameter of the base of a revolver nipple is smaller than the base of a rifle or shotgun nipple. You may have the correct thread, but the nipple won't be able to bottom out in the seat. I know that the nipple wrench is larger for a rifle.

Track is showing the diameters to be 0.307" for both the rifle and revolver nipples.

The next measurement is for the length of the cone. The cone length for a rifle is typically 0.440" long and the revolver cone is about 0.300" long. A too long cone will drag on the recoil shield and prevent the cylinder from turning.

I've always used RWS 1075 caps on my revolvers, and had no problems even with stock nipples,

Latest posts

Back