• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

single shots-anything between a derringer and a Great plains/Trapper style pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a Traditions Trapper for Christmas (wanted a Lyman Great plains but couldn't find one). I am pleasantly surprised at the build quality and hope to get it out to the range this week. It is very heavy to my way of thinking. Does anyone build a pistol in between the derringers and this? I am thinking of something with around a 6" barrel and weighing under 3lb?

A New Orleans "Ace" or other "boot pistol" would be close to what you are looking for. There are also some double barrel pistols, no longer made but still out there for sale at times, that would meet your size & weight criteria. Just gotta do some searching. Most of these type pistol are up close & personal type weapons & have very crude sights or no sights at all. Somebody here may have exactly what you are looking for. Good luck!

No, That is not what I am looking for. Some time ago, TFoley posted a video of shooting an English caplock boarding pistol.

Something like that, say a rifled version between ..45 and .54, with some passable sights.

Hey 6thTexas , looked on f.b. , black powder , and found 3 that kinda meet your requirements in less time than it took to type this ; couple .45s and a Lyman .54 . Hope this helps .

I wouldn't write off getting and shooting an original. I'm serious. This one by Lacy & Co. ought to be just what the doctor ordered:

Lacy & Co. - .54 Cal.jpg

This is from The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon. What we have here is a smallish belt pistol, likely intended to be carried for self-defense. It has nice engraving and is described as being in good condition, for $750. The seller doesn't state the weight, but with a six-inch .54 caliber barrel tapering from 7/8" to 13/16", it would probably be pretty easy to carry, or to shoot with one hand.

A custom-built pistol similar to this would very likely cost you over $2K.

So, this old hand-cannon costs double the price of a Traditions Trapper or a Lyman Plains Pistol, but if it isn't abused, it will hold its value and maybe even increase. You can't say that for the modern production made guns. I'm not criticizing the modern guns or people who shoot them. I own and shoot some of the modern-made muzzleloaders. It's just that a lot of old percussion guns in remarkably good condition sell for very little more than their modern counterparts, the quality is much better than the run-of-the-mill production guns, and I'm guessing that if you show up at a rendezvous with one of these in your sash, you'll probably pick up a lot of style points.

Just something to consider.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

You might find an older CVA colonial belt pistol in .45 cal. I’d get the percussion version…. Not high dollar by a long shot, but fun to shoot.

I wouldn't write off getting and shooting an original. I'm serious. This one by Lacy & Co. ought to be just what the doctor ordered:

View attachment 111560

This is from The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon. What we have here is a smallish belt pistol, likely intended to be carried for self-defense. It has nice engraving and is described as being in good condition, for $750. The seller doesn't state the weight, but with a six-inch .54 caliber barrel tapering from 7/8" to 13/16", it would probably be pretty easy to carry, or to shoot with one hand.

A custom-built pistol similar to this would very likely cost you over $2K.

So, this old hand-cannon costs double the price of a Traditions Trapper or a Lyman Plains Pistol, but if it isn't abused, it will hold its value and maybe even increase. You can't say that for the modern production made guns. I'm not criticizing the modern guns or people who shoot them. I own and shoot some of the modern-made muzzleloaders. It's just that a lot of old percussion guns in remarkably good condition sell for very little more than their modern counterparts, the quality is much better than the run-of-the-mill production guns, and I'm guessing that if you show up at a rendezvous with one of these in your sash, you'll probably pick up a lot of style points.

Just something to consider.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Very good points! Looks like I need to save up a bit!

I got a Traditions Trapper for Christmas (wanted a Lyman Great plains but couldn't find one). I am pleasantly surprised at the build quality and hope to get it out to the range this week. It is very heavy to my way of thinking. Does anyone build a pistol in between the derringers and this? I am thinking of something with around a 6" barrel and weighing under 3lb?

I have that Traditions Trapper pistol. My scale says it weighs 45 ounces, but it does feel heavier probably because the 9 3/4" barrel makes it very front end heavy. It's fun to shoot. I normally use a one handed dueler's stance but I'll admit my imaginary opponent would be pretty safe at anything over about 10 yds.

Ive develped a strong affinity to English pistols. Nock built many outstanding pistols of various sizes. The medium size guns as you describe are about perfect for handiness and possible carry. Inspired by such things as this Gill pistol, it occurred to me that one could cut down a longer gun to about a 6" barrel and clean up the lines some to get a shootable example for not too terribly much money. if i won the lottery, id probably go on an original English pistol buying spree, but if fate showed me a nice original within my budget id certainly pay attention.

I think the Gill was around $2200 usd

Gill pistol 2.jpg

Back