• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Siler Lock finish issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah Clark

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I am building a LH Chambers PA fowler . .and well . . . as the saying goes, idle hands are the devil's workshop . . . I got started fooling around with the finish . .taking off the grey sandblast that these locks have on them. . . I think I overdid it.

My thought is to leave the barrel and lock unfinished or may blue and cut the barrel back a lot . .not sure yet . . .

So I filed and sanded all the roughness and pits . . then polished.

I think the lock looks nice, but I do wonder if it looks like a nickel-plated Saturday night special from east LA now.

I may have it engraved some . .or may not . . .

But I was wondering if I could cut back the polish with a high numbered 400 sandpaper or steel wool. . . or some other option. Any thoughts ?

IMG_1671_zpspr8ayypv.jpg

I personally like the locks left in the white, and have found with use they will take on a aged patina that to me adds character to the finished piece. I find the difference in barrel finish to the un finished lock as it ages adds a nice look to the piece.AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Some people just scuff them with scotch bright and they look good but if you do it scuff in one direction, always lengthwise.

You can give it a quick etch with vinegar and buff it out with 4/0 steel wool, just to lessen the shine.

stubshaft said:
You can give it a quick etch with vinegar and buff it out with 4/0 steel wool, just to lessen the shine.

So I just scrub it with vinegar and steel wool ? Or do I just soak it in Vinegar (white or apple?) . . then buff w steel wool ?

That sounds interesting. Thanks !

I have a bottle of muriatic acid I used to etch concrete before painting my garage floor . . . I've read that can do a number of metal in terms of etching or rust but I have no clue how to do it . . . and that may be overboard for taking the shine off this.

I need to buy some of that navel jelly . . . what i had went bad. That's a great idea.

I used a grey scotch pad and some muriatic acid (HCL) but all I think that did was burn my nose . . .the scotch pad did the trick.

It looks much better now.

The problem with using Naval Jelly is the finish LOOKS like it was done by Naval Jelly and nothing in the period was close to it.

Using Muriatic Acid is not bad AS LONG AS you don't let the acid work for more than 20 to 30 seconds before washing it off. Let the parts sit in Muriatic (Brick Layer's) Acid for a minute or more and you can wind up with it being heavily pitted and ugly looking. Been there, done that, got the T Shirt. :haha:

Gus

Things go better with Coke. I have found that Coco Cola does an excellent browning finish . I degrease the parts and soak in Coke for 12 hours. Then rinse and oil. :idunno:

Why not polish the pan and frizzen to match? Then rub with pumice powder using an oil-soaked cloth. Nice mellow finish.

Rich Pierce said:
Why not polish the pan and frizzen to match? Then rub with pumice powder using an oil-soaked cloth. Nice mellow finish.

:thumbsup:

You didn't over do it - this is over doing it!
R. C. is right. Just let it age and it will get a nice patina.

Lock3.jpg

Wow . . . I did polish the frizzen after that pic . . and it's been cut back with a scratch pad.

I am pleased with the look now. . . Though I really enjoy the suggestions and discussion and find them helpful and informative for a novice like me.

I may work on the pan next . . this Siler is going into a fowler so I have toyed with the idea of making it look a little less German and modifying the pan . . . but not sure i'll do that . . .

Wow! Didn't know that a lock finish could be so complicated. Most of the time I cold brown but also at times just apply cold blue {44/40}and rub back w/ 0000 steel wool.

I remove the gray, etched finish on the lock parts using a coarse Gesswein stone dipped in mineral spirits and the job is done in 15 mins. Have found that the as purchased finish captures too much LMF browning.....Fred

Im going to have to try Rich Pierce's method. sound like it might work out pretty good.

Latest posts

Back