• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Signing up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, all.
Just signed up to be a member of the board. I'm in Charleston, SC and I shoot a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber percussion. I prefer to keep my rifle and equipment relative to the early 1800s and the only thing in my bag that's "factory made" is a small skinning knife.I'm interested in exchanging information with y'all and learning some things along the way. Y'all feel free to write me at [email protected] . Looking forward to it! 50

Welcome thar 50,hope ya have as much fun on this site as we are.It's going to be a good'er one as we say in the North Tundra.............

Well, Stomper, thank ya for tha welcome! Sure hope I run across a couple o' more GPR shooters. Seems these rifles are a bit more popular than I first figur'd.

I'm already into doin a shim job on mine. I've prob'ly got close to a thousand balls through'er now and the wedges are startin to loosen up a bit so I'm just before gluein some thin strips of wood in the bed of the stock. Y'all take care
Ol' 50

This will cause some talk. I noticed you said that you are having to shim your stock. This is not a purist thing but have you considered using Brownells "Acraglas" it will take up the slack and make the barrel less likley to move during weather changes. It will strengthen an old stock, and not be seen because it is between the barrel and the stock. Just use the releaser right, I mean make sure everything you want to seperate from the stock such as the barrel is well coated. It is a great product.

No Powder,
Oh, I don't get too bowed up about things like that. I can find a much more worthy cause to argue about than maintaining purity in how I service my rifle.Thanks for the tip, but, to be honest with you, I just stuck a patch between the stock and the barrel in two critical places and the slack seems to be taken up quite nicely. A week from this Saturday, I'll find out if my "Kentucky windage" gunsmithing has corrected the problem.I admire your hesitancy in mixing technology with period correct procedures. A lot of people want to jump up and down about that sort of thing. As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to offer any suggestion. As Grandaddy said, "Two heads are better than one, even if one is empty!". You never can tell, the next idea you come up with could be the trick!Write any time,
Ol' 50
[email protected]

I'm ordering me a GPR but in .54 caliber. We'll have to compare notes on shooting, .50.

Shoot a GPR .54 Flintlock. Love it. However, out of the box, shoots a bilt low and to the right (4-5 O'clock). Once I get it sighted in, will shoot like a charm. Had a .50 GPR percussion but opted to trade for the .54 Flintlock. In either case, a very fine weapon and would support anyone purchasing one. Next - a .54 pistol.

Nate

Nate...
Lyman makes the Great Plains Percussion Pistol in .54 caliber percussion #66-761

Deer Creek Pistol Kits
American .54 Perc & .54 Flint
grin.gif

Musketman:

Thanks for the reply. Do you have an address (web or other) for Deer Creek? Had not heard of their pistol - .54 Flint?? Do you know anything about it - good, bad, indifferent?? Thanks for the info.

Deer Creek Products
P O Box 246
Waldron, Ind 46182
Phone 765-525-6181

These are good folks to do business with!

I see you hail from Charleston
Close to home:)
I hunt Blackpowder for Squirrel's & Turkey's
We should get together when season opens
and do up a hunt .
my favorite Gun is a 1777 Charleville of 69 cal
"a load O 6's will put meat in da pot every time".
I also Reenact with the 2ed S.C reg
(http://www.2ndsc.org)
Check us out .
Gopher

Back