• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SIGHTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got started on me a new barrel, 45 GM blank and gonna put on a TC Hawken frame. Down to sights and underlug so I need some suggestions on sights. Been reading on cutting a dovetail so suggestions on those tools I would appreciate also. Already have extra TC sights but want something more traditional. THANKS

As crude as it seems, I have used a hacksaw and a triangle shaped file, with one side made safe (file teeth ground smooth). After deciding on the position of the front and rear sights, measure the sight base. I will then cut a series of notches across the barrel, being careful against cutting too deep. Only deep enough for the sight base to fit flush with the barrel. Then working slowly with the file, smooth the slits to sight depth. Then work on filing the angles for the dovetail angle. Work it for a tight fit between the sight and the barrel. Check the fit, file a little bit, then check the fit again and repeat until you are satisfied.

The Hawken Shop sells buckhorn rear sights which mount in the rear sight screw holes on a standard T/C barrel. If your GM barrel is one of the drop ins it will already be drilled and tapped. Otherwise you may find drilling and tapping for screw holes easier than dovetailing, depending on how your shop is equipped.

This jig is easy to use and rather fool proof.

1617844438137.png

It really depends on how your planning to using the rifle, your age and eye sight condition, I presume your asking about the actual sights and not the install.
If you want/need advise about install,, then say so,,

I will be different, I had the jig above and hated it, you have to shim it just right to have a shallow dovetail, and you will have to make a variety of shims, It will give you a slanted dovetail on a swamped barrel plus the metal is so hard it will ruin you tri-corner file in short order. For me it is ten times easier to file a dovetail by hand than to set up this jig and make it work on a variety of barrels.

I sold my jig for a song just to get rid of it, I told the buyer up front why I disliked it.

It will sure enough eat a file,think it is made harder so a file will not cut it and distort the jig.Must have got lucky on my swamped barrel as it is straight.Eric has more experience with this than me by far so will really watch the next 1 on a swamped barrel.

Back