• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight question for older shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the rear sight out by the entry pipe? Do you older shooters do better with open sights moved out a good ways on barrel or a peep. I'm having a time with mine and don't want to put dovetails on guns just to turn around a month later and go peeps and be filling dovetails,,ugly,,lol

It is often said you can tell the age of a rifle's owner by how forward the rear sight is moved forward. To use open sights ye gotta do it. Extra dovetails are just part of the story of the rifle's life. Many clubs now allow the use of peep sights because so many active ml'ers are old guys. Three of my remaining four rifles have peepers.

Before moving forward, try making the sight notch wider...You may find you don't have to move it forward...When I bought my first flintlock from Bob Watts in 1977, it had a narrow notch in the rear sight, it worked good until I was in my 40s, then it became fuzzy, I found by opening it up, I could clearly see the front sight...I'm 68 now and have had cataract surgery as well, I can still see through the front notch...

Use the smallest aperture you can see thru. That way , if you can see your front sight and target you are in line , Elavation will take practice. But if you can't see your front sight ,you're not lined up..Be Safe>>>>Wally

Does anyone have the rear sight out by the entry pipe? Do you older shooters do better with open sights moved out a good ways on barrel or a peep. I'm having a time with mine and don't want to put dovetails on guns just to turn around a month later and go peeps and be filling dovetails,,ugly,,lol

That's not ugly, that's character.

A fellow, now passed, had two filled dovetails. Filled with brass and stamped with the move dates. I thought it was kinda cool 😎

Yes, I haven't moved rear sights, but I can confirm it's definitely easier to aim when the rear sight is forward. I shoot better with my milsurps that have the sight well forward,

Anybody who hasn't yet reached the age of "age-related presbyopia" has a, well, eye-opening experince awaiting!!

I'm constantly swapping out prescription glasses at the range, depending on what I'm shooting at what distance I'm shooting. Crazy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Humans can only focus on one thing at a time. Young eyes can switch from front to rear/rear to front sight rapidly (some so fast it seems they are actually focusing on both at once). Aging eyes cannot, as a rule, do the same.

Peep sights work if you know how to use them. Small hole. Focus on front sight. Target blurred. Trusting the peep sight was my problem well over 60 years ago. I just didn't until Dad fixed me up with a rear peep with an adjustable aperture. After that, I really can do some good shooting with peep sights. Anyway ...cataract surgery in both eyes and Macular Degeneration in one says shooting days are numbered. (At least my "hitting anything" days are.)

it depends on the individual. I was having problems with open sights. 2 years ago I had Cataract's removed. That seemed to cure my problems with open sights. I have always used peep sights because I did a lot of light bench and cross stick shooting. They are nice if you can use them.

Aperture sights on the tang are the way to go with aging eyes and open sights because you have one less focal plane for your eyes to focus on. With an aperture rear one looks through and ignores any notion of centering from the rear as your eye will do it naturally and only focus on the front blade and target. Also rear apertures are easily opened for more light to come through without much if any loss of aim accuracy.
The other thing is to make a much wider front blade sight which will give far better definition against targer or game than will the traditional fine blade front. A wide front blade shows better definition both in windage and elevation than does a thin front blade and is easier for ageing eyes to focus on . Next stop will be scope sights.

I have an unmentionable with a peep sight that folds down into the tang area. I am more accurate with that sight than any other. I was a RH shooter for 50 years, but ARMD has made me into a southpaw. NOT an easy transition.

well they do make magnetic scope mounts too. Those are quite handy for red dot sights. Plus you can put it on and take it off without needing to machine in dovetails or drill and tap holes. But if you are hunting where only iron sights are allowed then it may not be a solution. I thought I saw a magnetic peep sight setup somewhere. But now I can’t find it.

No firearm alteration peep sight option !

Below is photo of the eyeglass frame clip-on DEADEYE peep-sight I designed 55+ years ago to resolve my blurry vision open-sight issues in competition & hunting.

This setup will provide you with a clear picture of front & rear sights & your target.
Back in my younger competition days I provided several of my fellow competitor friends with these & always received grins with the results.
This peep sight can be made for less than $12.00. The jewelers loupe can be purchased from Harbor Frt. for about $5.00 or ordered off Amazon for about $10.00.
For the black optics disc I've always used the bottom of a 35m film canister & use the removed glass lense as your pattern. Start with drilling a .040 dia. hole in the center for your aperture for clarity, I use .060 in mine.
The arm can be tweaked to conform to your eyeglass needs & nice benefit is the eyepiece swivels out of your line of vision when not needed between matches.

As usual there are always forum naysayers to this option but it sure beats sticking a piece of gooey tape on your lense & altering your upper barrel flat with holes & dovetails.
Relic shooter

DEAD EYE or EAGLE EYE peepsight , my design #1IMG_0912.JPG

Attachments

• Pepsight loupe, my design DEAD EYE or EAGLE EYE.JPG
    Pepsight loupe, my design DEAD EYE or EAGLE EYE.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back