• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight blackening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Barrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good way to black out the sights. Somthing that can be wiped off at the end of the day. Everytime I go shootin the rear sight puts out a reflection and makes it look blury.

Old trick;
hold it over a candle or "wick" of an oil lamp turned way high. You'll pick up the soot. wipes right off with a damp cloth.

But I like my trick better, stove black spray paint! Won't wipe off with a cloth, but will come off with a little solvent. :thumbsup:

My eye's finally reached that point where I can't take any of that shine, and I carefully masked off and painted the entire top flat of a few rifles. I give up, this winters project will be to brown everything I can!!

I have a carbide lamp in my High Power competition bag. Wave the flame across the sight and you get instant dull black that esily cleans off with the wipe of a rag. Companies such as Champions Choice sell a small carbide "lighter" that does the same thing. They also sell "Sight Black" in an aresol can that does a good job. And if you have an oxy/acetylene torch you can light the acetylene ONLY and get a good smoke. Be careful and don't melt your sights.

Birchwood Casey Sight- Black. Rubs right off. Comes is small aerosol can. :thumbsup:

I've used em all, but mostly stick with the BIC lighter. It's always in my pocket, but all the other stuff is usually at home where I forgot it.

Bic lighters and sight black...use them both but I'm the dummy that always manages to rub both right off when loading. :redface:

Thanks for the replys. Does this bluryness caused by reflection happen to every body or just older eyes ? Im only 43 and its makeing me depressed :rotf: Cmon guys, tell me it happens to everybody.

2Barrel said:
Does this bluryness caused by reflection happen to every body or just older eyes ? Im only 43 and its makeing me depressed :rotf: Cmon guys, tell me it happens to everybody.

Fuzzyreply.gif
:rotf:

black magic marker works well, but lately I've been using some nail polish in a shiny red...what my wife would call a "trashy" shade..for some reason, I'm seeing the sight against the target better. I also got my optometrist to make me a pair of glasses to help me see the front sight better..and they work..Hank

When I shot on a pistol team I used a carbide miners lamp to blacken sights it worked great, not even sure you you can still get them, some used metal 35mm film cans with a small hole in the lid a drop of water screw the lid on light it and instant sight blackener.

Stick a little candle stub in your pack.

Ilumination, sight-blacker, fire-starter (cut off little 1/4" pieces), seam (or flintlock pan) waterproofer, scratch filler for stock dings.

Handy thing to have at times.

What works good for putting a durable light colored tip on the front sight? The replacement front blades with white beads are really nice but I don't want to replace them all!
Use to use a thin german silver front blade with the curve radiused and polished but the glare effect doesn't work with my eyes nowadays.

Undercut the back side of the front sight, so that no light reflects back to your eye. Use a file.

If you want different colored front sights, they are available from suppliers. They cost, but they are available.

I like the kind that have a colored plastic insert in a tube, with a port cut in the tube to let in light.

They now come in very small diameters, so you have a fine "point " of light to use as a reference for your front sight. With daylight coming into the tube through the port, the end of the plastic facing you "glows", and is highly visible in the lowest of light conditions. I like "green", personally, for its use in a wide variety of light conditions, for what my opinion is worth.

Back