• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight adjustment T.C. New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a 50 cal T.C. New Englander.
The rear sight is adjustable, by screwing the adjustment screw up or down.
Need to know how far up or down each elevation click produces in POI at 25 yds, 50 yds and 100 yds.
Can't find any other helpful resourse to answer the question.
Thanks.

Need to know how far up or down each elevation click produces in POI at 25 yds, 50 yds and 100 yds.

IMO: The graduations mean little. i've owned New Englanders in .50 and .54 calibers. Also sighted in numerous others for other shooters and hunters. The sight adjustment of every New Englander i've dealt with was different.

The New Englanders have two different sight setups depending on the time frame the gun was made.

IME: Many New Englanders shoot high even with the lowest sight adjustment. Fixing that requires the installation of a taller front sight. Sometimes i solder a brass wire to the top of the front sight.

Okie hog is right, there isn't any known POI scale for that adjustment,, it's not like a scope.
It's just a click stop to help hold the sight in position.
Every person has a different favorite load with a different charge so the "clicks" would/will be different for each person.

All you can do is experiment.
I never bothered changing the sight and just zero at 50 and learn my hold over at 100 for each gun.

The effect of any vertical sight movement will be determined by the distance between the front and rear sight and the actual amount of movement per click of the rear sight. There is a formula for calculating the effect, but it's not at hand just now. The two values needed are easily measured. First, measure the distance between the rear sight and the face of the front sight. Next, remove the barrel from the rifle and use a caliper to measure the distance between the bottom of the barrel and the top of the sight blade. Then, raise the rear sight ten clicks, remeasure the distance between the bottom of the barrel an the top of the blade. Determine the difference between the two and divide by ten. Use the resulting average to three decimal points.

Now you have the numbers to use in the formula. What is the formula?? Just watch this thread cause someone will come along shortly and provide it. That's just the way things get done around here.

By the time I took all those measurements, then did the math & taken an aspirin. I could have just shot a group, adjusted the sight, shot another group then adjusted & shot again and figured out how much each click would move the POI and had more fun doing it. :grin:

Back