• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun wad questions for the experts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read Gatofeo's excellent post on felt wads and lube with great interest. Today I brewed up a batch of his beeswax, paraffin, and mutton tallow lube, and it sure looks like great stuff. My question has to do with what shotgun wads should I lube with this mixture? I read somewhere that veggie fiber wads are not suitable for soaking in lube....but when i dipped 1/2" Circle Fly 12ga wads in Gatofeo's mix (melted), they absorbed it perfectly. Why would these not work just fine? They don't fall apart..as a matter of fact the cooled Gatofeo lube acts as an excellent binder. I do have a 12ga wadpunch coming via ebay, and felt coming from Durofelt. I understand that felt wads will be more durable...but you only ram them down once! Is there something I am missing about the effectiveness or "lubability" of fiber wads? Next question: I also bought Circle Fly 1/8" nitro wads, which appear to be a cardboard material, and .125 over-shot cards. Over 72g. FFG, I am assuming that I should not lube the 1/8 nitro (over powder) wad, then load a lubed 1/2" fiber wad, then shot (1 1/4 oz #7 1/2), then an un-lubed .125 over shot card. WHEW! Do you experts out there honestly see a difference in pattern if you change things about? Say I leave out the 1/8 nitro over-powder wad, or use a 1/8 nitro wad as an over-shot wad...are muzzleloading shotguns that pattern sensitive? Of course the only real test is to pattern it myself...but what are your experiences? I would really welcome ALL 12ga advice you can throw my way, now that I have different wad material to try about every combination possible! Hats off to Gatofeo for a very informative post.
Thanks from a shotgun neophyte
ELee

http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/starr.htm Try this site, i've used this method for shotgun wadding ever since I discovered this, V.M. Starr was one of the greats with ML shotguns,the methods he describes are foolproof,I havent used felt or cushion wads for 2-3 years, just cardwads like Starr recommends. By the way where did you find the 12 ga punch on ebay? Is someone selling them or is the 1 you got something somebody was selling as a qty of 1?

Regards
Harrys

Great link Harrys! Great fun reading. The wad punch was a one shot ebay deal...I got a 12ga and a 10ga (both arch punches) for $20.00 including shipping. I don't have a 10 bore...but you never know about the future.
Thanks for the info
ELee

My question has to do with what shotgun wads should I lube with this mixture? I read somewhere that veggie fiber wads are not suitable for soaking in lube....but when i dipped 1/2" Circle Fly 12ga wads in Gatofeo's mix (melted), they absorbed it perfectly.

Here is the way I do my fiber wads and it works just fine...

wad.jpg

Once fired, the wad compresses and squeezes out the lube as it goes out the barrel...

Dang, Rebel...I was looking at that picture thinking the same thing! Guess you guys use dried Sashsquat squat for wads!!!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Oreo wads. Coool :crackup:

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

It may sound crazy, but I've done it too! ::

I've pulled many a fiber wad apart with my finger nails, using bore butter in the tube, squirt just a dab in the center, and put the two pieces together again...they even stay together when carried loose in the pouch that way.

Several people have told me they do the same thing.

And, just as many have told me I was wasting my time, as I would get no lubing effect unless I made 'em real "messy" with lube...Still yet, I prefer this to lubing the base, whether it's as good or not, I don't know.

Mostly, I lube the base of a "shot cartridge" with Anhydrous Lanolin, as this also seems to work good. :thumbsup:

I don't have a clue as to the "proper" way of lubing a wad, but both ways that was mentioned seemed to work just fine.

I never though of 'em as "Oreo Wads", but you're right! That's exactly what they are. :haha: :haha:

Russ

I read that wad recommendation from Star years ago. Always wanted to try it but am still not sure what kind of cardboard he's refering to. I've been useing circle fly wads and while based on Star's experience, it would seem that the cusion wad is not necessary, I like to use them because I lube them in bear oil and I can shoot all day long and the last load loads as easily as the first. I just put some oil in a small bowl and heat it in the microwave, then roll the wads, one by one, in the oil. They can't be stored in raw leather as the oil will leach into the leather. The pocket for the cusion wads in my fowler bag has been dipped in melted bee's wax to prevent the leaching.
So exactly what kind of cardboard is Star referring to when he says poster signs, or whatever the exact description he used is???

Cody

Cody; I cut wads from regular mat board, the kind you find at picture framers. About 3/32" thick. Works fine, but I like the cardboard "nitro wads" from Circle Fly better. The mattboard does make great overshot wads.
ELee

first i am NOT an expert

the best pattern i have been able to get from a CHOKED shotgun barrel does not use the type wads you refer to.

I use 2 of the over powder cards between the powder & shot.

Lube is appled via a spray bottle of solvent /water mixture sprayed into the barrel after the shot is added and before the over shot card is placed.

this was based on watching others who shot much better than i was able to at the trap range.

I'm not sure if this would work with cylinder bored shotguns, haven't tried it yet.

gatofeo does do good work, just got this to work first before i saw his ideas. Have not yet tried them in shotguns.

:results:

works for me

rayb

Back