• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot snakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtrekker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Tried a search for previous posts on the topic and could not find one.

Do any of you know who, where or how to make or buy a shot snake? All help and info is greatly appreciated.

The Mountain Top Trading Company sells a shot snake...
bag_oc_shotsnake02.gif

http://www.mountaintoptradingco.com/shootingbags.asp

Tandy Leather used to have a pattern as part of a Muzzleloading Accessories pattern book. Makes a relatively nice one. I use too stiff a leather and it tends to ride horizontal instead of shaping to my torso. Have no idea if they still offer it.

Yup, TOW and Dixie Gun Works both have them and can be ordered on-line. (TOW is slightly cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Here's what I did to my possibles bag. Comes in handy when totin' my Tulle.

shotsnake.jpg

This is on the back side, with bag carried on the right. Works great!

If you get a chance, try a shot flask also. I have both and actually like the flask better. It my not be period correct but I prefer shotgunning out of a turkey hunting vest. It has enough pockets for the flasks, cards and cushions and they are all in pockets so that there is nothing flapping around and scratching the gun.

Here's what I did to my possibles bag. Comes in handy when totin' my Tulle.

shotsnake.jpg

Now you're talking, this will also keep the shot snake from squirming around and as an added bonus, it will keep the flap of your possibles bag from blowing open in a strong wind...

Dave,,that's a good idea!

Musketman, that is the back side of the bag. This pic shows it a little better.

bag2.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

that is the back side of the bag. This pic shows it a little better.

bag2.jpg

I see it now, the little flap of leather behind the spout lead me to think that was the front in the other image, still a cool idea, I must do this with mine...

That whole flap lifts up, same as the front flap, and there's another pocket underneath for patches, extra shot cards, etc. It really works pretty well. As far as English or Irish ends,,,,good question. Irish is all I've seen used in our groups, but I'll do a little research. Thanks!

The Irish is easier to use for a more accurate charge of shot. It also is easier to lose the 'spout' than the English lever-type. The Englslih type is harder to use with large shot sizes. The Irish spout I had worked just fine with powder as well, especially when on a flask, however the English would leak with BP in it.

Back