• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Snake Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DSCF1146 (1).jpg
20220814_215426.jpg

Top picture was posted on ALR forum 4 years ago. The bottom picture is my attempt to sorta copy it. Holds 30 charges of shot. Picked up the charger heads from Dixie Gun Works a few years ago when they had them on sale. Still need to put a couple of small brass screw in the collar.

I'll get my chance to antique it next month while hunting doves and then later this year going after quail. I saw a big ol covey run into some brush. Lot's of little ones this year.

That is as beautiful looking a newly made antique as I’ve ever seen, have you made anything else?

I made a bag based on a the Tennessee Rifle Bag pattern out of TC Albert's book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch". It turned out nice but somehow I made so small that my hand barely fits in it. I gave it to kid.
20211128_205339.jpg

20211109_173740.jpg

Got a couple more bags cut out and half sewn. One is my own design I drew out. We'll see how it looks. Kinda got hooked on making the stuff I need myself. Really satisfying. Made a couple of rawhide bullet pouches that would make dandy tobacco pouches to but I don't smoke anymore.
20220816_180306.jpg

What is the weight (thickness) of the leather you used for the shot snake?

What is the weight (thickness) of the leather you used for the shot snake?
I used the 2-3 oz bargain leather that Springfield Leather has available occasionally. After I dyed the leather I've been applying TOTW's mink oil to soften the leather. It feels right.

Thanks for that info - I like Springfield Leather Co - nice people ;) :thumb::ThankYou:

That's a great looking shot snake.
I have the spout, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to mount it. Would you be willing to post some detail photos and a description of how you did yours?

I didn't take pictures as I was doing it but I'll try to describe what I did. I measured around the inner ring that comes with the charger head and added enough so I could over lap and sew flat. The leather ID was a little smaller than the brass ring's OD. I wet the leather, pinched the seam flat with smooth jawed pliers and forced the ring into the leather tube. Then carefully got the outer ring of the charger head started and worked it over the leather. I drew a picture of the pattern I made. I still haven't found small brass screws with pan heads that are have flights all the way to the head to secure the two rings together with the leather pinched in between. I might just tap the holes I drilled and use brass machine screws.

20220913_080352.jpg

Latest posts

Back