• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Pouches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said you can like your English measure for any reason or no reason. I just thought your complaints about the Irish measure were wrong. I said so. I still say so. I just want you to be honest about your attraction to your own choice. You don't have to give a reason for liking it.

And, as for missing scoops, those bags you find generally come out of estates, where relatives or neighbors helping to get things ready for sale have NO knowledge about guns much less the gear that goes with them. they get lost, or thrown out, because someone doesn't know its part of a tool.

I have yet, for instance, to find a cracker tool bullet mold, and reloading tool that had the insert- sizing piece to expand the mouth of the casing. They are always " lost". I bought such a tool, and ended up having a new expander made by a friend who is a machinist. In more than 40 years of haunting estate sales, garage sales, and gun auctions, I have yet to see an expanding plug for sale with one of these old Lyman hand tools. The same with Irish bags.

The scoops are lost by the unknowing. That does NOT mean they were lost by the hunter in the field, as you indicate. :nono:

My experience with both styles has been different than yours. Leave it at that. At least I am honest about my preferences. You still haven't told me how you get shot past both gates to load that bag.????

Duh, if you had used one, you would know that the head screws off and you reload the shot flask after the head is off. I don't care what year it was made, I have not seen one that doesn't screw off. But, if there is one, I am sure you are the one to have it. Another way to reload the flask, if you are bored, you could depress the plunger, which will allow the gate closest to the end to open. Now, you can put in whatever the amount it is set at.Let the gate close and that amount will drop into the pouch. Since my pouches are about 2 1/2 lb and I shoot 1 oz. loads "usually", I would need to do that only 40 times. But, I don't want to look dumb so I just unscrew the head and pour shot into the pouch, then replace the head. Took longer to type this then to do it.

Years ago, I was talking to many people/vendors/shooters about type of heads at Friendship, like always, there is various opinions as to what each one likes. I was offered to try the different heads and was told the good and bad about each style. Everyone with experience, expressed the reason that so many old Irish heads are missing, is because they became lost in the field. I didn't make that up, I let the others do it and as sad as it sounds, it makes perfectly good sense that it could and would happen. Noe, what pray tell, makes your equipment better than the other equipment that has been in use for 150+ yrs.? Is it because PV says so? Makes sense to me........

This is a muzzleloader site, I do freguent other gun sites though. But I have no knowledge or desire/care about a part that gets lost in a drawer for reloading c-fires. I reload more modern c-fires and use the modern Redding/RCBS equipment at a reloading bench. Now, what does this have to do with a tool that is used in the field/woods/praire like some sort of shot flask.

Now, where did I lie this time? I am sure you will tell me.........please.

Sorry I asked the question. I'll do my research in books from now on. :bow:

Cleburne

I understand. I am so sorry that this thread went this direction. Best of luck, feel free to contact anyone here that you feel comfortable with through the PM's that are available.

Well, DUH, I was using an original english shot bag, and the head would NOT screw off. It was corroded shut, although there was no corrosion showing on the outside. I suspect someone had cleaned the outside off some years before, and the natural patina had returned before it was given to me. The Brass seemed very thin on that head, and I didn't want to try to remove it and damage the head in doing so. I figured that head had to unscrew, but didn't know for sure until now. Thank you. I do consider that a weakness in the design.

The Irish measure does not suffer that problem. :grin:

I also have a brass, original Powder scoop, and its also corroded shut, so I can't move the inside tube to adjust it for volume. Someone had broken the handle off, and soldered it on with common solder, and that has not held. No matter how long I have soaked those two brass tubes with break free, they have not loosened enough to turn them.

You obviously have no clue what I am talking about when I describe a a Lyman " nutcracker " reloading tool. ( Lyman Ideal 310 tool, later). I am sure that other members do.

The later #310 tool had separate dies that were inter-changeable on the nutcracker handles. The original tools had all the functions done on the one tool handle, with the exception of the decapping( primer removal), and (case)expanding operation, which required that separate "pin" that fit inside the seater. This separate " pin" is what is always lost. I bought my cracker tool from a dealer at Friendship's commercial row, BTW. I still see them there, along with ball and bullet dies.

I never said you lied- you did. I simply said your explanation was dishonest. I might have used the term disingenuous instead. It probably would have been more appropriate. I was simply challenging your weak criticism against Irish measures.

To address your comments specifically. I wear the strap of my bag, with that leather irish shot bag attached, over my right shoulder, with the bag under my left arm at my hip. I am left handed, so I shoot from my LEFT shoulder. The Head of the Irish measure is high enough on my chest that it does not touch the stock of my gun when I cradle it in my right elbow. It does not touch the stock or barrel when I am firing. The Shot bag, being on my off-shoulder does not interfere with mounting the fowler to my LEFT shoulder.

I remove the scoop from the Irish measure using my Dominant, LEFT hand, using my thumb and index finger,. for maximum control. I also use those same digits to replace the scoop into the measure, and feel the " click" as the spring seats home. I then test the scoop by pulling on it a bit to make sure it can't come lose on its own.

For the record, you haven't LIED about anything. I hope that makes you feel better.

Sorry I asked the question. I'll do my research in books from now on.
Never apologize for asking a question on this forum, there is way too much knowledge on this site.As with anything that involves human contact you will have people that just dont get along, as well as people that for whatever reason lash out.if you have a question, ASK!! You will find people with different experience with different replys just sort through them for what works for you and dont let the b-ll sh-it get to you.keep on postin, and keep your ml smokin :v
NOT trying to step on toes, OR piss anybody off, but when new members regret asking a honest question its time to ease up. Maybe not my place to say, but i said it. we were all new to this once. just my opinion! :v

Thanks for the encouragement Lonehunter. You're absolutely right. I'll try to keep what you said in mind. :hatsoff:

Cleburne

Back