• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shorty remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody champfered the mouth of their chambers so that the ball swages into the chamber rather than being cut to chamber size?

For a few years, Col. S. Colt's pistols had chamfered chamber mouths.

For reasons I don't know they went back to the sharp chamber mouths. I suspect it was a cost cutting move on their part.

Yes, I have chamfered both my Pietta 1860 and 1858 and my Ruger came from the factory that way although not as much as I personally did both of mine. Accuracy was unaffected but if you use to large of a ball they will still cut lead.
It does help though if you are no more than one or two thousands over.
Some times the chamber mouths are not perfectly round and the balls never are and this is were I think the chamfer really helps out.
It is also good to ream or lap all the chamber mouth the same diameter as they vary quite often. MD

One of the things I have done is to ream the cylinder out to .001" over groove diameter and radius the edge so it does not leave a ring of lead. Makes them shot better groups.

What kind of chamfer did you put on the chamber mouths? I am going to chamfer the mouths then i have to get some solder to put the sight on then i have to start looking for another brass framed gun to make a matched set :)

I'll try to put up some pictures tonight of the chamfer on both guns. It doesn't take very much and yo'll laugh but I used an RCBS case chamfering tool and it worked great. I finished it with a round diamond hone. MD

Here are some shots of the chamfer in the 58 and 60. Snap shot camera so hope you can make them out.
P1020086_zps31c3d3b9.jpg

P1020087_zps435d1ba2.jpg
MD

Back