• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a Tennessee gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im wanting to have a Tennessee gun built. I have some concerns about the curved butt plate. It will be in a 45 cal so recoil is not a issue. I have been shooting a Uberti 53cal Hawkens. Just wondering how this would compare to the way you shoulder and shoot the Tennessee. I don't know anyone who has a Tennessee gun so I cannot shoot one to see how I like it. There are a bunch of them out there so someone must like shooting them.

You do not "Shoulder" a Tennessee rifle, you place the butt plate on your upper bicep with your elbow level (or close to it) with your shoulder, Some people can shoot them, some find it too awkward.

It all depends on your build,
The Curved butt plate doesn't "shoulder",, it fits on the upper arm , like into your armpit and upper arm.
If you can't find one to try out you could at least buy a butt plate for the type you want,, screw it onto a 2x4 and see how it fits,, :idunno:

armakiller said:
You do not "Shoulder" a Tennessee rifle, you place the butt plate on your upper bicep with your elbow level (or close to it) with your shoulder, Some people can shoot them, some find it too awkward.

You are right although elevating the elbow is not necessary. Once you get retrained it is extremely comfortable

The very first guns were held with a pole out the back. When the first rifles were built they were put onto crossbow stocks and had little or no support from the body. The development of a stock fit against the body took multipal tracks. The curved lines found bleed well into a cressent butt and an upper arm fit. My first ML rifle was when I was a teenager. It was a mowrey A&T and had a very curved butt. I learned that upper arm fit and now find a shoulder fit 'unnatural' I even hold my flat butts there and find it very comfortable,even with stout loads.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was wanting to know. Im sorry I used the term "shoulder" I just meant to bring the gun into firing position.

Ever shoot a older savage 99?...to me, that is THE best offhand shooting rifle!
Tenn Mtn rifles will be held the same......

Regardless of butt plate design I shoot with the butt in the shoulder. This feels natural to me and allows a good sight acquisition without straining my neck. I would suppose, then, that it's an individual thing. My SMR has a curved bp and is no problem.

Latest posts

Back