• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting 61 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Pretty good shoot today. I was using the nominally .380 balls from the Warren/ Ozark Bullet company. They are actually all different sizes and not particularly round but it seems to make little difference that some virtually slip into the chambers and others seat hard with a large sheer
61navyduelist63.jpg

Fifteen shots there. I missed three- two out of the first cylinder getting my range and then another later out of pure clumsiness.

The book, Percussion pistols and revolvers is available from[url] Amazon.com[/url] as an e-book. this could be interesting because it only cost six dollars in that format and the pictures are full color and zoomable.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

Last edited by a moderator:
Yer sure shootin that thing GOOD...
Wish I could hit like that...how long ya had that pistol?

*** WV SCROUNGER *** :thumbsup:

Just a few months. It's my newest percussion revolver and the only one that shoots almost exactly on for elevation without fiddling the sights-though the 60 army was pretty close.

Uberti- widely distributed and you can get spare parts from VTI and Cimarron Arms.

Do you need to lube over the ball of a cap and ball pistol for lubrication?

I only ask because I had a Navy pistol that shot loose in less than 100 rounds. I never put any grease over the ball, I did use Ox-Yoke felt pad UNDER the ball, but no grease over it.

I had it repaired (warranty) but now I never shoot it. I just figure it's going to shoot loose again.

IMO, the lube, or lack of it, didn't have much if anything to do with your pistol shooting loose.
Most of the lube is blown out of the adjacent cylinder bores by the blast of the first shot fired.
A lot of that first shot's lube undoubtably goes down the bore, but after that...

Some of the lube may be blasted down around the curvature of the ball and add to sealing but as far as it setting up the gun for shooting loose, it should'nt have that effect.

Nope, it was a steel framed 3rd generation Colt. I sent it back to their shop to be fixed, and they did.....by peening the hole for the wedge.

Hey, Mec -
I have the same pistol, but have been having some troubles. It seems I get 2-3 misfires per cylinder. I'm using the CCI #11s, which work without problem on my Pietta Remington, but not on the Uberti Colt.

What are you using in the way of caps, and do you run into the same issue?

Thanks much,
ValleyForge

That's alot of misfires. If the caps are going off without setting off the charge, It could be foil from the cap blocking the nipple hole. Some people had trouble with the older Remington caps doing that. I don't recall whether CCI has foil over the priming compound or not but they are thicker than the remingtons. If you have a light hammer fall, they could be harder to set off than the remingtons.

Mec - thanks for the reply. Actually, it's the other way around. I get no firing at all. Then once the same caps have been "tapped" by the hammer, the 2nd time around they fire fine. Only it doesn't seem to be consistent....sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Last Saturday out on the range I had 4 in a row that didn't fire on one cylinder. Next cylinder full on 2 didn't fire. And they all do once they've been around once.

I'm too dumb to figure this out on my own.....

Sounds like the caps are just not seating. Too tight. After capping, lower the hammer, CAREFULLY, with the pistol pointed in a SAFE direction, on the capped nipple, and seat them the rest of the way by pressing them forward on the nipple with the hammer.

Now if that sounds too spooky to you, you can just try it once, and if all six chambers go off, you'll at least know what the problem is, and get bigger caps, or chuck the nipples in a drill press and reduce the size or taper a bit.

I had a batch of RWS caps that fit like that on my 1860, I always seated them like that without an AD. I don't think it's a problem if you use care and common sense. But it was just that one box. I liked them being that tight though, because once seated there was no moisture getting in that way for sure. Loose caps that you have to pinch don't make for a very good seal.

Rat

Thanks, Rat. I'll give it a try -- Mec, if you're still reading this thread, what kind of caps are you using?

VF

Remington #10. The cups are considerably thinner that CCI and they are stronger than older remington caps.

Back