• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shockeys' Gold Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stshooter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently built a Tenn. rifle from a kit, lock stock and barrel. Shoots great with 45 grains of Goex black powder. Is it alright to load it with 45 grains of Shockeys Gold. I was told I would not have to clean between shots and should get the same performance. Any precautions with this powder? Do I still do the complete cleaning after a day at the range? Any advise is apprecited. Thanks

You can use the same amount of Shockey's Gold but it won't be any better, and probably worse than real black powder. I don't have to clean between shots in any of my muzzleloaders using real black powder. And Shockey's Gold is just as corrosive as real black powder. It's all just advertising hype.

save your money.
None of the BP subs are as good as the real thing

The stuff you are reading about Schockey's Gold being better than the real thing is :bull:

I have yet to see any substitute that works better than black powder. Some seem a little cleaner, like 777, but I don't have fouling issues when I shoot real BP anyway. I don't know about the Shockey's though. I've never tried it.

It's American Pioneer Powder. From some reports, it might perform better when used in larger volume charges than smaller ones and in longer barrels. From this chronograph report, it may have relatively more shot to shot velocity deviation than other powders out of this revolver, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad".
Every powder has advantages and disadvantages.

walkerloads1.jpg

Thanks for the picture and info. mec :)

Rebel said:
I wouldn't use it just because of the name. :grin:

If it doesn't smell like egg farts when I clean it, I might hafta give it a try. :shocked2:

stshooter,
I have posted my views of Mr Shockey on
several occasions so I won't go there again.
You say your Tenn. rifle shoots great using
45grns of Goex. My advice is as long as you can
get the real stuff, use it. If you are really having trouble between shots try some different
lubes. Reguardless of what you use a complete
cleaning after a day of shooting is a must.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

I've shot American Pioneer Powder, Pinnacle, Pyrodex, and Triple Se7en out of a number of my traditional rifles as well as countless pounds of Goex, Swiss, KIK, and once some Elephant.

I discovered that some of the rifles really do shoot well with substitute powders. Whether they shoot better with the substitutes over the black powder, only your rifle will know. I have one .54 caliber that shoots its very best with Triple Se7en 2f. Because of the increase in accuracy over black powder with it, I used it deer hunting one season and the two deer never knew the difference.

I shot Pinnacle 3f out of a .58 caliber with results hard to beat. Yet Pinnacle shot terrible out of a couple of my .50 caliber hawkins when compared to Goex.

You still have to clean the rifle at the end of the day. You will see a reduction in fowling simply because of the nature of the beast between the two kinds of powders. In fact I just got my first pound of Shockey Gold and Black Mag 3 two weeks ago. I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, but look forward to the opportunity to experiment with them and my rifles.

Good luck with your testing of different powders.

I use to use pyrodex,but it seemed that after the 6th or 7th shot it would hang fire.I didnt swab between loads.I changed to goex and never had a hangfire even after 20 shots,still not swabbing between shots.With the pyrodex the cleaning time seemed longer than it did with goex.I wont use substitutes unless I cannot find the real stuff.

I say go ahead, try it. That is the only way you will know how really good Goex Black Powder is. I am speaking from experience. I went full circle. Started with Goex, then Pyrodex, then several other substitutes; went back to Goex. Like the others said, you must clean your ML after every shooting session, regardless. You might try FFFG Goex. It burns a little cleaner than FFG, although I have no fouling problems with either. Goex, accept no substitute!

Back