• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharon barrel company

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wprovence

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy guys, I have a rifle that looks like a TC but it has on the barrel, Sharon Barrel Company. It's a 54 cal. Would anyone know, are they set up like a TC with a 1-48 twist?
I also have another TC renagade barrel in 54 but it is a kit barrel, I guess ,because the serial number starts with K. Are they as good as the regular barrels?. Thanks..........Bill

:v I have a .54 barrel by Sharon and it is 1:66", shoots very well with a .530 ball and .015" patch. I believe that their barrels were for PRb. :v

Hall Sharon built some great black powder barrels and offered kits too. He had a fullstock and a halfstock Hawken, and a 10 or 12 gauge English style single barrel percussion fowler. His least expensive kit was a halfstock trade rifle and that might be what you have. These were all top quality guns. The barrels were rifled with rates appropriate for patched ball.

I have an older circa 1975 tc 50 flint barrel which was a kit gun also .Was always wondering if it was a Sharon barel.Looked at past archives and never really found out,only marking on mine is a diamond on the bottom flat at the breech end.Seems I have read some Douglas barrels also were made..Ray

I doubt that T/C ever used any barrels not of their own manufacture, however, over the years, many have been upgraded by fitting them with better barrels. I agree with Russ T, probably a Sharon "Trade-Rifle".

early barrel on t/c was made by sharon : you should have a heart or spade on the underside of the barrel near the tang.
Douglas was also putting there barrel on t/c in the mid 70's
I been told barrel that have model names on them like hawken,renegade are made by t/c

Wprovence said:
Are they as good as the regular barrels?. Thanks..........Bill

If you are asking about the Sharon barrels, I will tell you they are fine ones. I purchased one of their Hawken kits and they cost more than most kits available at the time. If I recall correctly, they also made replacement barrels for other brand rifles.

The Sharon company didn't last too long. I don't see too many of their products around.

TexiKan

To the best of my knowledge Sharon also made the .56 cal. smooth bore for the Renegade.
Theye also made an aftermarket smooth bore drop-in in .50 cal. for the Hawken that were outstanding for turkey with #5 shot.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I have a 62 cal smoothbore Sharon barrel that fits a 15/16 TC Hawken. It shoots very well with ball or shot.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try PRB in it. My rifle has a beautiful curl walnut stock. Same configureation as a T/C Hawkin. It has some dings in it , so Im going to have it refinished. Maybe the figure in the wood will come out better.

Now for the T/C renagade kit barrels. Are they of the same quality as Sharon barrels or even as good as the regular T/c barrels?

I had a T/C 56 SB, I sent it off and had it rebored to 62 cal SB. I think it should be a fun one to shoot. Thanks again guys.........Bill

I'm no authority on the history of T/C but I got a T/C Hawken .50 caliber in 1972 and it was definitely not a Sharon barrel, 48" twist and shallow grooves just like today's T/C, while Sharon barrels were cut rifled .010-.012" deep and in the appropriate round ball twist. I also doubt they made the .56 smoothbore barrel, the one I have is T/C all the way and I think Sharon was already out of business by the time the smoothbore Renegade came out.
As to your T/C Kit gun, yes the barrels are the same as supplied on a finished gun, but no, they are not the same as a Sharon barrel.
I believe your gun marked "Sharon" was made entirely by Sharon and the T/C by T/C.

Thanks CoyoteJoe, I believe your right. The stock is a better grade walnut. The brass pieces on the stock are also thicker than on a T/C Hawkin. It's a very nice rifle. Thanks again...........Bill

I'm not entirely sure if Sharon made the .56 for T/C but we picked up aboout two dozen of the Sharon .50 drop-in barrels in a buy-out about 20 years ago and our customers just snaped them up in no time.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch_36 said:
I'm not entirely sure if Sharon made the .56 for T/C but we picked up aboout two dozen of the Sharon .50 drop-in barrels in a buy-out about 20 years ago and our customers just snaped them up in no time.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint
I'll bet they did! I have a .54 Sharon on a T/C renegade, however mine was anything but a drop-in, I had to cut the breechplug tang to fit the T/C hooked tang and cut the T/C lockplate to make room for the nipple drum which was already fitted to the Sharon barrel, then bend the T/C hammer to hit the nipple, install the underlug, rib and ramrod thimbles and sights. With all of that done, NOW it is a drop-in! :haha: But I still have to switch hammers if I wish to fire the original T/C barrel.

Back