• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this trigger in the late 90's from Mountain State Muzzleloading . It is one of their products and has their logo on it. Well I am working on my project and got the trigger out to look at it and I can not get it to set. The shelf on the rear trigger never goes under the lip the front trigger . Is there something I don't understand?
ML Trigger.jpg

I bought this trigger in the late 90's from Mountain State Muzzleloading . It is one of their products and has their logo on it. Well I am working on my project and got the trigger out to look at it and I can not get it to set. The shelf on the rear trigger never goes under the lip the front trigger . Is there something I don't understand?View attachment 242072
Not sure as your photo does not get in close enough for me to see detail. Back the screw out and see what happens. The one underneath.
Larry

That screw between the triggers is already too far in,, like @Larry (Omaha) says,, back it out.
When you have engagement, adjust that screw for the break point you want.
Or, the rear triggers "shelf" as you call it has broken off,,

Your rear trigger spring probably has too tension on the rear trigger. Even possible that it doesn’t have enough. But start by loosening the spring screw until there’s no contact, then screw it in a little at a time until the rear trigger sets at a comfortable pull. Then you can start adjusting the small screw, have it unscrewed all the way before adjust the rear trigger.

Does the front trigger have light spring force on it pushing it forward so the trigger sear is on the screw between the triggers?

If yes, back the screw out until the front trigger stops moving.

If no, there should be a spring putting slight forward tension on the front trigger that is possibly missing, or something other than the screw is blocking the front trigger.
1691097284277.jpeg

If I loosen the the rear screw I can get it to set. However the rear screw is only in by 2 treads and seems very loose . Also the springs are so loose they are moving around on the plate.
You don’t need much rear spring tension, any more than the minimum makes the rear trigger hard to set. You don’t want the spring flopping around, but just tight enough to make full contact and still give a decent rear trigger pull.

Good deal! And just playing with it is what it takes. Once the rear trigger is set, as you screw in the small front trigger screw watch how the trigger bar moves up and closer to the tip of the set trigger bar. It’s good to actually see how little metal to metal contact there is when you adjust it to a hair trigger. I always settle on a couple of ounces more pull to insure safe contact. If you were to wack the rifle on something at a minimal break you could get an accidental release.

Back