• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sears & Roebuck Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up a pretty cool Zouave .58 today. Antonio Zoli and co Italy and Sears and roebuck on it. It cleaned up nice and the nipple came out after some heat. I haven't shot it yet but I'll get some balls and give it a try soon..I don't know why it has a horse head on the stock but it does..

I have one too, mine has the same light colored stock. I am waiting for the weather to break to do some more shooting and sight it in, but so far it seems to shoot pretty well.

What load do you use in yours? Does yours have the horse head on the stock? Mine is AB dated (1976). Thanks

No horse head on mine! I'd have to go check my charts to be sure, but I was shooting around 40 grains of fffg and I believe a Lyman minie. Pretty sure it was the 575213 old style. Mine is a 1975.

I had one some years ago.
I think they are beech stocked. Mine was.

Shot a ball real good apart from the sights were to high. I remember it was capable of taking rabbit to 60yds so deer would of been no problem.

Brits.

Great,I am going to shoot mine once I get some balls and maby even try to find some mini's for it. I have never shot a smooth bore before so this should be fun..

Smoothbore? Shouldn't be a smoothbore, mine is certainly rifled and have never heard of a smoothbore Zouave.

:redface: I ran a brush down it and cleaned it up and you are correct. There is rifling (Just not real deep) so I guess I posted in the wrong place. I still need to clean it some more and it should be ready to go. I ordered both .570 and .575 mini's and .575 balls along with .58 brush and jag from TOW so I should be good to go. Thanks for the heads up..

Yeah, the rifling for minies is not real deep like roundball rifling. Doesn't mean they won't shoot roundballs well though with the right load.

The rear sight was glued on and there was no screw holding it to the brl. I ordered 2 of them and cleaned the bore with tome steel wool and it looks great now..

Looks like someone has watched too much HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL.................watch yer top knot.............

Back