• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sea-service pistols painted black?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frou frou

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read a post on here that said on-board ships the weapons were painted black? Something called japanning? Is that finish still known and reproducible?

Was the all the metal furniture black or just the barrel?

I know shipboard rifles were jappaned. They usually did the whole gun; lock, stock and barrel. You could probably reproduce the effect with the right type of black spray paint. The original was a tar like substance, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info. Found a few antique auction house mention the term, and another forum mentions it.

Someone mentioned
References to "blacking" go back to at least 1689. Gilkerson in "Boarders Away, Vol. II) writes that some surviving specimens were totally blacked (lock, stock, and barrel), while others others just had the barrel blacked.
In 1757 there were 10,000 bright Sea Service muskets in the Tower, while another 10,000 were "black".

BTW, here's the blacking formula-

"Six ounces of lamp-black, three pints of spirits of turpentine, and three ounces of litharge to be put in after the lamp black and turpentine are well mixed; add one ounce of umber to give it a gloss, and one gallon bright varnish." (Gilkerson, 71) From Brady's "Kedge Anchor", an "early 19th century" formula.

Prior to the 19th century, the decision of what or whether to coat with Japan Blacking was pretty much left up to the judgement or whim of individual ship captains. I have seen references to pikes being painted red, white, black & left bare. I have two original cutlasses that appear to have been held by the blade & the guard & grip dipped into Japan Black.

go to http://books.google.com and look up "Lacquer: Technology and Conservation"

Litharge is black lead, may be difficult to get because of its toxicity. This book has a wealth of information though :thumbsup:

If I were to Jappan a gun, I would just use the flat black spray paint made for gas grills. That paint works well on metal.

"...This forum rocks. "
-------------------
Must be one of them #@^&%%@@ Flintlock shooters. :(

Just funnin wit ye. :grin:
zonie :)

Latest posts

Back