• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scrimshaw artist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobie

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can anybody point me toward a scrimshaw artist? I want to get my powderhorn personalized.
Thanks!

No reason why you can't do it yourself. Find a picture you want to put on the horn, reduce it to a proper size, tape it to the horn and trace the patterns with a pencil. Then take a exacto knife point and scratch the patern into the horn. Some india ink in the scratches and you are good to go. It will be more personalized if you do it yourself.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! After my rotary cuff debacle- I can barely manage my name. I might try it- I've got a good supply of sandpaper.

My sister who has been gone for 10 years could do it. However my ability would only give stick figures.

I have tons of respect for those artists who can do it.

Not everyone has talent. If they did why would we need artisans Eh?

Just draw or trace your design on the horn and use a really sharp scribe (I sharpened a 16 penny nail and wrapped a handle on it.) You have to keep it sharp and scratch slowly over your design. I have to admit that I'm a terrible artist but I did it.
20200401_131724.jpg

Just draw or trace your design on the horn and use a really sharp scribe (I sharpened a 16 penny nail and wrapped a handle on it.) You have to keep it sharp and scratch slowly over your design. I have to admit that I'm a terrible artist but I did it.View attachment 31837
That looks great- I do well to scribble notes to myself. Sometimes I can't read them back. That's a nice horn!

Some folks have talent and others have to pay to get what they want and cannot do for themselves..

One person who use to be here who had talent was horner75, I have some of his nice work.

I have been an artist one way or another my whole life, and I scribe horns. That said, I encourage you to create your own. A sharpened nail will work. Must be SHARP. I recommend you buy a scribe. Usually a tungsten-carbide tip. They are not expensive. I bought a package of two and have been using one for years.
Also, so that you are not shooting in the dark, I recommend you purchase one book: RECREATING THE 18th CNTURY POWDER HORN, by Scott & Cathy Sibley. You will be extremely happy that you did. You will be saying "Hell, I can do this", or something like that. All are available on Amazon, or horn suppliers. Don't think you can not do this.
Picture an 18th century fellow sitting under a tree, with a horn tight between his knees, and a pocket knife. Those resultant horns are now treasures. Make your own.
If I can help, let me know.

My favorite work was done my StumblinWolf out of Ohio. Matt was a real artist. Unfortunately I have lost contact with him.

I have done a little geometric etching, but no animals or scenes.

ADK BIGFOOT

I always wonder when people talk about the "old timers" engraving their horns with a sharpened nail, how many have actually tried it, and how many have tried it right.
Through the middle of the 19th century, all nails were made of iron, not steel. Handwrought iron nails can be sharpened (I've done it), but they don't hold an edge for anything. I've had far more luck with sharpening broken needles- that's what I used on this horn (my first) back in '96.

Attachments

• IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7213.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 97
Since then I have learned to use a blade- this is a tool I made with a broken awl tip, but an X-acto knife works well, too. The key is practice. Which is why I did the phone charger. 😉
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_7182.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7185.JPG
    IMG_7185.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 96
Needles, nails, old darts, scribes, exactor knives, sharpen awls ... I’ve tried them all...

Nothing has worked well for me. I always seem too have issues with the tip following the horns grain. Off track!

Latest posts

Back