• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screw size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8x32 only goes in about 2 1/2 threads although the hole is deeper. It looks like the hole has two threads the bigger up by the head and smaller on down to the bottom. Seems like many years ago a well known shop owner explained why they did that. Am I dreaming or was that true.

I know the tumblers are hardened and was wandering if I could drill the hole one size up and recap? I don't want to harden a new one since I do not know how. Could I just heat it with my acety/oxy torch to a red color and plunge it into a oil bath. If so what type oil?
Thanks

Thanks. I tried a 8/32went 2 /12 threads and stopped. Soon as I get home I will ck everything again. The owner of a very well known shop told me yesterday they were 6/40. Alright someone is Fibbing LOL

Thanks. I tried a 8/32went 2 /12 threads and stopped. Soon as I get home I will ck everything again. The owner of a very well known shop told me yesterday they were 6/40. Alright someone is Fibbing LOL
Don’t believe anyone is fibbing, however there is confusion. Are you sure you have a large Siler lock? The small Siler locks use a 6-40 tumbler screw. It is also available at TOW.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/0/1/LOCK-SS-FK-TXA 6-40 screw will about drop in to an 8-32 threaded hole, while an 8-32 just won’t go in to a 6-40. You need to find a way to measure what you have. Until then, it’s a guess.

A large Siler is 5 1/4" long a Small Siler is 4 3/4". Also a lot of Silers were sold as kits. the person putting it together should have used a bottoming tap to cut the threads. If they used the more commonly available Taper Tap then the first 10 threads in the hole will not be completely cut. You can't redrill or recut the threads on a hardened part. you would have to heat it to red then let it air cool back to dead soft before you could do either. Then you would have to reharden and retemper it. You can get a finished tumbler from Muzzleloaders builder supply or from Chambers Flintlocks for $25.00

Just joking on fibbing.ok measured both locks 5 1/4 in both. The 8/32 is just right in the one lock had to clean threads very little by running tap in with FIngers. And measured how far it went in. The other lock takes 5/40 also cleaned threads with tap and fingers. These are pre chambers silers before he started reworking them. Even pics show the diff screw size. Forget the numbers on top left pic. I was just showing the screw heads

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_155339.jpg
    IMG_20230709_155339.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230709_155317.jpg
    IMG_20230709_155317.jpg
    997 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230709_155258.jpg
    IMG_20230709_155258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230709_154802.jpg
    IMG_20230709_154802.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 0
Any ideas maybe a kit from who knows put together. Still doesn't make since.
I would say somebody screwed up. Put my first siler kit together in the early 80's. Just put the last one I had left together for the current rifle I'm working on. They have always called for 8X32 on large and 6X40 on the small. I bought a finished improved tumbler and sear from Muzzleloading Builders Supply to try on this one. works great, the sear barley moves when you cock it. This was on an old Siler kit, bought a couple from Chambers right after he took over Siler and this was the last one I had left.

The 8x32 only goes in about 2 1/2 threads although the hole is deeper. It looks like the hole has two threads the bigger up by the head and smaller on down to the bottom. Seems like many years ago a well known shop owner explained why they did that. Am I dreaming or was that true.
Sounds like an M4 thread

Pre Chamber Silers (made by Bud Siler) were all kit locks and assembled by anyone who purchased one. The screws were all threaded that came with the kit. The tumbler had to be threaded so if the person who assembled the kit did not fully thread the tumbler then hardened it then that's your answer. To fix this correctly you need to anneal the tumbler and then re-thread it to depth and then reharden it. You said that you got a O/A torch then this would be a quick fix be sure to use a neutral flame! MAPP gas will work also you just have to use some fire bricks to contain the heat during the heating process also use a warm canola oil (about 125 degrees) for your oil quench bath. During the hardening process use a magnet to see where the part becomes non-magnetic then heat it a bit more and quickly quench in the warm canola oil. Once it has cooled enough to touch without getting burned (warm) put it into a heated oven (kitchen oven) set at 425-450 degrees and let it soak for one hour then shut off the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Wire wheel any heat scale off of it and oil it - you should be good to go.:thumb::ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back