• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratch Built Buggy Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRW

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know if this qualifies as scratch built but here is the story. the stock wood is from a storm damaged pecan tree from Kansas that was slabed out and air dried, the barrel is from a scrap piece of 4140 that Metalshaper and I drilled out with our special bit we made, the barrel is rifled on our shop built GM rack and pinon gear rifling machine. the brass breech/tang was machined from a scrap piece of brass bushing stock and the action parts are cut from scrap steel flat stock using a zeroxed pattern from Logans Underhammer book the only store purchased parts are 3 set screws 1 roll pin and 6 wood screws and a percussion nipple. I still have ramrod pipes and sights to install I will try to udate this as progress is made Oh and the barrel is about 14.5" long is a .43 cal

MVC-085S.jpg
MVC-082S.jpg
MVC-086S.jpg

:thumbsup: Great job!!!!! this is what I have been talking about,gun building, no kit involved

:hatsoff: I'd say you can't get much "scratchier" than that! :rotf:
Have you shot it yet?
Soggy

Damn nice work, When will ou go into production? Really thats a nice set up, like the way you set up the stock. :applause: :applause: FRED :thumbsup:

great looking gun. Add a few more inches and you'd have cane gun too. :thumbsup:

I love the looks of that gun. I wish I had the talent to do something like that. I'd make one with an 18" barrel and in .50 caliber for deer hunting here in Massachusetts. I love the take down stock idea. Great to put in the back of the cab of the pick up truck.

MRW said:
... I drilled out with our special bit we made ...

I really like your underhammer. Great job! Could you provide details on your special bit and how you went about drilling your barrel blank?

Thanks,

Clutch

well the special bit is a carbide tipped 7/16 masonary bit that we regrind the point on to give us a off set point to keep it centered if this makes any sense basicall the bit cuts a inverted cone around the point which keeps it centered in the bore then we just weld/braze the bit on a 5/16 dian piece of aircraft tubing mount the shaft in our shops Howa 100 lathe and clamp the bit in the tool holder and start feeding in the bit. Metalshaper came up with this idea and it works really well but then we don't always follow along the same path others so kind of like our rifling machine that we made out of a rack and pinon steering assembly off of a Oldsmobile cutlass that one may get us in trouble with period correct police since they didn't have Oldsmobiles prior to 1840

I would call that scratch built. Nice jub. you could have taken the exhaust valves out of that Olds and machined some good nipples, very tuff stainless.
Acustomer stopped by with a couple of his UHs so I took a picture next to a H&A. The little one is 22 cal
397762.jpg

Kind of looks like a 'cane gun'......nice JOB! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have you thought of adding a bayonet? :grin:

John Taylor said:
I would call that scratch built. Nice jub. you could have taken the exhaust valves out of that Olds and machined some good nipples, very tuff stainless.
Acustomer stopped by with a couple of his UHs so I took a picture next to a H&A. The little one is 22 cal
397762.jpg

That top one looks like a MANLY Gun, what cal is
it?

Not sure about the second ones foregrip, is that a tellescoping cleaning rod, or a walkie talkie? :rotf:

The top one is mine in 62 caliber. The second one is a 40 or 44 cal. with a 2 piece ram rod. the liitle one is so cute that I might just make one like it. It's a 22 caliber and the owner said he uses pellots.

I like the way you and metalshaper think and work.

brains applied to materials.

hats off to both of you

rayb

Fantastic Guns!!! I've only built some cannons. Looks like I have a new project if I can find some time.

What would be a good sorce of plans for one of those Underhammers? They look very simple. My kind of project.

Later :hatsoff: Wes

Powder Keg,

Find a copy of Herschle Loagan's book on Underhammers. If you can't find a design you like in there,,, well your just not trying!! :rotf:

Marlow mentioned the carbide bit we use to drill our barrels. A lot of people overlook the common masonry bit. Resparpened using a silicon carbide "green wheel", they do an amazing job of cutting through steel. I originally found a reference for using them, in an old Popular mechanics 'shop annual' < the older smaller ones >. They were New back then,, as I think it was a 1950 something issue. :winking: It mentioned drilling through a file.
So off to the shop I go,, find an old masonry bit and set up to try it. even unsharpened, it cut through the end of an old Nicholson file, in a very short time. Resharpened, they cut like a dream.
The off-set grind I put on them,, is a "Poor Man's" attempt at immitating a gundrill. The test model worked beyond my expectations. we were feeding cutting oil at a very low pressure, by using the lathe's oil pump and feeding it through the hollow shank. Worked OK, but more pressure/oil, would help clear chips..

Marlow and I work on the TLAR principle.. the conversations usually go " so what do you think?"
the answer "Hmmm, That Looks about Right! " :grin:
I guess not knowing you can't do it that way..makes it easier for us to keep doing it ??

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I was at our state fair a couple years back, going through all the exibitions, ... watched a guy demo just what you're talking about. He uses the sharpened masonry bits with the spade tip and cuts through anything. He also sells them for about five times the cost of a regular concrete carbide bit!

Marlow and I work on the TLAR principle.. the conversations usually go " so what do you think?"
the answer "Hmmm, That Looks about Right! " :grin:
I guess not knowing you can't do it that way..makes it easier for us to keep doing it ??

Looks like you guy think along the same lines I do. Try something and if it don't work then you add it to the list of things that don't work. Sometimes I get lucky and something goes right.

How about a photo of that gun drill? I would like to see your configuration, if you do not mind! :hmm:

I agree about those masonry carbide bits .. they do cut thru somethings amazingly well! :thumbsup:

Davy

Back