• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratch Built Buggy Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

any chance you have any drawings of the action, on that lil' ring trigger UH ?? or maybe a close up of the frame area? That thing is so neat looking.. I may just have to work on a version of my own?? and I know Marlow's interest has been tweeked..

RayB sent me a some pics, a while back, of a "Spigot Breech" UH.. that one is going to take a lil' work to duplicate. but I've put it on the list of "Guns, I'd Like to build" :thumbsup:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

It may be on this forum, it may be elsewhere, but I read a statement I really, really liked: "Those who say it can't be done should stay out of the way of those doing it."
:thumbsup:

Thanks! I I got luckey and found a copy on Ebay. It was $60 but elswhere it was around $250. Cant wait till it gets here.

Later, Wes

Metalshaper, The owner took them home or I would have taken them apart to look. It has the same basic parts, a hammer and a triger. It uses internal springs. The ones I have looked at before use the same screw for both springs. The little 22 had a brass incert over the lock area. I think he got carried away when he was machining it out and went through. The hammers on both had a long slot where it hits the nipple. With the pivot point of the hammer being center to the barrel like a H&A the hammer face is moving forward on the nipple as it strikes. The one I'm building now has the pivot as low as I can get it so the hammer will strike the nipple square. I have no printed plans, just a picture in my head. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I don't get much time to work on my own stuff.

John,

Thanks for the reply.. If you get a pic, that is fine.. if not, its no sweat either.

I'm a terrible one, to ask " What drawing or blueprint did you use?" IF I bother to do a drawing, its mainly just a quick reference thing, that only I understand. Most of the time, its just an idea in my head and the TLAR principle is in full affect. :winking:

I did take a fancy to that lil' UH though.. and I know of at least one shooting buddy, who would like a copy to give to his girlfriend..

Better go, supposed to be down in the shop..working on MY UH taget pistol, < so I can try and keep up with Marlow and his new Buggy Gun > :grin:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

M

The frame is a piece of high power barrel left over from making a carbine barrel for a customer, heat treated 4140. This one is going to be a take down model with a threaded taper pin like on a Remington mod 4. The pin will be cut away on one side so it only needs to turn half a turn to take the barrel out. The hammer pivot hole and sear pin hole are drilled. I saw a picture of an action close to this a while back. I have no drawings to go by. The barrel is out of the scrap pile. It has good 45 cal. rifling and will be a heavy half octagon/round about 35" long.
398590.jpg

John,,

I LIKE!!! :hatsoff:

Marlow and I are change barrel happy, as some would call us. Our Mar/Dag H&A's are all made, to use at least one extra barrel. My Miss Muley has a spare 28gauge shotgun barrel..and once I find a suitable 15/16th X 32" barrel, in 45-50 caliber,,she'll have the full set!
The UH pistol I'm making now, is set for one barrel. The next ones, made on the same basic pattern, will all be made to accept at least one other barrel..

Thanks for the Pic!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Metalshaper, I may have a light weight 50 cal. barrel in the pile. I think it is at least 35" long and it is round. Also have a few used barrel in good shape.

John,

Thanks, That might be something to investigate!:hmm: We may have to rummage around in the pile and see what can be found ? The 15/16ths measurement I mentioned was across the flats. Both barrel I currently have for Miss Muley are octagons. I made it so the same forearm fit both.

The original idea was to make a cased set with this gun. three barrels and the action/forearm. Then fit the case, with all the accoutraments.. who knows, maybe its just ' Dilusions of Grandeur' ?? :haha:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Very nice, I really like your work. I have been wanting
something like that. I took the advice here and looked
for a copy of Herschle Loagan's book on Underhammers.
Got one off E-bay. Good advice Metalshaper thanks.

John Taylor
Neat little take apart action. Please keep us posted.

Tinker2

Latest posts

Back