• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scoped civil war rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know.
In my travels the charity resale shops in little towns across America are visited to see what books grandpa and grandma had. The grand kids just donate the boxes. Once upon a time in Jasper, Alabama a first edition written by a CSA general was laying on the shelf. When I flipped it open the first color plate that hit my eyes was two serious snipers wearing green up in an oak tree.
Gave that book to a museum out at Beaumont.

Not that you can just go pick up off the shelf.

Replicas of the Rifles exist, as do replicas of the scopes. But the specific configuration of what each "sharpshooter" for different regiments vary.
Some had their own early on then came the Sharps and Whitworth.

A rifle and scope does not a sharpshooter make,, just like today, just because a guy has the gear doesn't make him a better shot or "sniper".

i would have to disagree..... the yahoo at the shooting range with a lead sled and a 6-24x scope on his 22 shooting at 30yds is definatley a sniper lol....and i only say this because ive seen someone with this setup :haha:

That sir, is one heck of a group @ 220 yds all ten inside the circle! Don't think I would like to carry it thru the woods though! It would make a fine varmint weapon, for ground hogs and such! :v

Reproductions of Whitworths and tube scopes are available. Expensive ( like over $250 just for the hexagonal bullet mold ) but available. Try Dixie gun works :idunno:

Salty Possum said:
Do functional replicas of the scoped rifle used by sharpshooters from the U.S. Civil war exist?

Yes. Google Malcolm telescopic sights.

Remember that the mounts are seperate and need some careful fitting.

tac

The Whitworth rifle (http://www.euroarms.net/euroarms_netWhitworth_file/whitworth_and_volunteer_rifles.htm) was used by many of the snipers. These are available but are a bit pricy. They do not come with a scope but you can buy a P/C 4X brass scope (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=brass+telescopic+sight&x=4&y=8). They, too, are a bit spendy.

But of course, the scoped rifle in the ACW was the rare exception rather than the rule for what we today call a "sniper". The average member of Berdan's regiment certainly didn't have a scope, few if any did, they were useless and in the way when serious work had to be done, even with the imported British Whitworth or whatever. But, modern fantasy lives on......

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I've officially added a Wesson Rifle and a Malcolm scope to my wish list :thumbsup:

Va.Manuf.06 said:
But of course, the scoped rifle in the ACW was the rare exception rather than the rule for what we today call a "sniper". The average member of Berdan's regiment certainly didn't have a scope, few if any did, they were useless and in the way when serious work had to be done, even with the imported British Whitworth or whatever. But, modern fantasy lives on......
True words my friend, I was just inquiring cause I though it would be neat to have something that different.

GoodCheer said:
And rare exceptions are so very nice to have.

Well sure, if they are original to the period and documentable. A photograph of the original owner with the rifle would be about the only way it could be proven. :idunno:

As far as a reproduction? They are very expensive but could be neat toys. I suppose..... :hmm:

Billnpatti said:
The Whitworth rifle (http://www.euroarms.net/euroarms_netWhitworth_file/whitworth_and_volunteer_rifles.htm) was used by many of the snipers. These are available but are a bit pricy. They do not come with a scope but you can buy a P/C 4X brass scope (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=brass+telescopic+sight&x=4&y=8). They, too, are a bit spendy.

I still have my old Whitworth that I carried while reenacting as well as the 4x Tasco "Kentucky Rifle" scope that came with it. While it looked neat and set me apart from soldiers of the line at events, it was far from correct. The Whitworth used a side mounted Davidson telescope of about 14" length and made of steel which is a far cry from the long brass Tasco. A kit was available from a maker whose name I don't remember that replicated the Davidson mount. It requires that you do some cutting on the stock to attach. The long brass scope commonly seen is similar to those used on the heavy barrel bench rifles used by many Federal sharpshooters.

Va.Manuf.06 said:

So right. Very few on either side had scope mounted rifles, even Whitworth shooters. At $1,000 a pop just for the rifle and a case of British made ammunition, they didn't spring for a custom model fitted with a scope very often though a few examples exist. The quality of even the best scopes fell far short of the requirements of combat in all types of weather. It wasn't until after WW II that really good weatherproof optics were produced that could stand up to the conditions imposed on them. I have to admit that my 4x scope came in handy for observing troop movements in tactical events when field glasses weren't available. I was employed as a walking spotting scope as much as a sharpshooter at some such events.

Back