• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

schuetzen black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went to the gun show yesterday hoping to stock up on some goex. the only vender that had any black powder only stocked schuetzen, at $35 per pound it is cheaper than cabelas at $50 per pound. i have never seen or shot schuetzen before so i only bought 2 cans.
i would like your thoughts from anyone who uses it before i buy some more is it a good powder? i was going to do some testing today but at -39 i decided to pass.

I used it for several years because of the local unavailability of Goex. Personally, I could not detect any difference in performance between it and Goex. You will like it OK. That price is still a shocker. :eek:

I won a pound of it at a rondy late last fall..... I haven't tried it out yet. My horn is still full of old eynsford and the weather here has NOT been conducive for shooting.

I used up a pound won at an event. I had to adjust my load slightly( down 5 grains) vs. Goex. It seemed to create a dryer-stickier fouling in my rifle which needed swabbing more often than the Goex. So my opinion is it works just fine once you adjust to it.

I acquire my BP from a local muzzleloading club. When I first joined they had done a group buy on Goex, so I was using that. The next time around they went with Scheutzen. That's all I've been using for the last couple of years, again just due to the availability of BP.
I found that the Scheutzen shoots to the same POI as the Goex I was using with the exact same charge. I'd say it might be just a tad bit "cleaner" than the Goex, but very little difference that I can see.

Back