• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

School of the Longhunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drissel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Prickett's Fort in Fairmont WV is having their SCHOOL OF THE LONGHUNTER starting March 30-April 2 2023,

School of the Longhunter
WhenThu, March 30, 12pm – 10pm
Where88 State Park Rd, Fairmont, WV 26554, USA (map)
DescriptionThis is an intense weekend of instruction exploring the role of early frontiersmen on the American frontier. Speakers will focus on the frontier skills of the longhunter. Space is limited and registration is required. Fort (Max 100). PFMF Members $40, Non-Members $45. Register online at prickettsfort.org/register or call 304-363-3030. Thursday to Sunday noon.

I’m new to all of this and checked the website/searched, but didn’t specifically see what this entails nor what’s required of participants. I really have almost nothing in the way of equipment/clothing, but this looks interesting. Would a modern dressed participant be out of place or unwelcome here?

Edit: I did see a post stating that modern clothing etc had a place.

Thanks.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, or ask more (dumb) questions. I saw some videos from past events. It seems most are already kitted out for this. Also, I emailed the fort itself but didn't get a response.

Anyway, my question/concern is that this is a more "advanced" school than what I should be attending as someone new to the living history/historical aspect?

I just don't want to attend and not have a certain baseline knowledge, therefore, not getting out of this what I should. Or, perhaps, I am overthinking this and would get the knowledge kickstart that I need?

Any advice is welcome, well...constructive advice anyway 😆

Thanks

I was hoping to see more insight into the School of the Longhunter as well and would like to attend next year.

As you said it appears to be more an advanced course although topics this year don't appear as specific (aside from the French chairs talk) as some years. My thought is that you would want to have all your basic gear and attire already, as well as the basic skills you might see at a rendezvous or other living history encampment (shooting, gun maintenance, basics of hawk and knife throwing, fire-starting, etc.). You would then attend to get a deeper knowledge of certain topics, to improve basic skills such as fire-starting (ex the lecture on specific tinders), and to gain more advanced skills like woodworking or leatherwork.

I figured once I've got my kit setup enough to where I can fully participate in primitive camping at a rendezvous and I've got the basics down I would be ready for the school.

If I find out any more info I'll post it here.

It is an advanced program. I am going to say something that is not meant to insult anyone but Rendezvous appropriate and 1st person living history is quite different. The best way to learn is to go.

Hey guys I've been doing the school for a number of years now and I don't think I'd be out of line answering a few of the questions you have on the forts behalf. You absolutely do not need a single piece if gear to attend the school.
. Over the years we have had alot of folks attend in modern clothes. Part of the point of the event is to help new folks get into the hobbie. There is even a separate area for modern camping or if needed some nearby motels.
Also you will probably learn just as much in between the talks as you do at the talks. There is plenty of time socializing and time for sharing info/research. I know personally I've helped new guys make patterns for leggings/moccasins and skinning a mink thru the neck to make a pipe bag just sitting down cooking lunch.
I can't recommend this event and the folks there enough to new ppl. Its a great site, welcoming crowd and overall great time.

Back