• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Save my hide?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don B

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last fall, I got a deer hide 90% fleshed and de-haired before winter hit. It spent the winter frozen in a tub of ice in a corner of the garage. It’s now been thawed for a couple of weeks and is starting to smell. Can this hide be saved? My plan had been to stretch and dry it this spring, then work on getting the last of the membrane off, which I was unable to do last year before winter hit. I’d appreciate your advice. Should I process, or would it be a waste of my time at this point?

Don

The smell comes from the remaining flesh, i would bet. Take the hide out and give it a good washing with soap and water. ( I did mine in the bathtub, and cleaned up the scum ring before the domestic supervisor went on the warpath. ) You should be able to drape the hide over a 2x or 4x and finish scraping off the flesh now. It should come off easier, now that it has been frozen, thawed and allowed to decay a bit. The leather itself should be okay, unless you allow mold to eat holes in it.

the hide may still be o.k., but living in minnesota you missed a real oppurtunity when you put it away last winter. next time you should think about stretching that hide on a frame and freezing it. hides that are stretched and frozen can then be nicely scraped while frozen. i do it all the time. the method is used by annishinabe up north as a preferred method. with a stretched and frozen hide it is also very easy to selectively scrape areas to get more uniform thickness.

take care, and good luck with the hide.

daniel

Back