• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sassafrass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big bore 75

40 Cal.
Reaction score
does anyone have any idea on what you use to make it into tea? got bunches around by me .bb75

I believe it's the root... ergo: "Root Beer".

Major export in the early days of the colonies, at one time IIRC it was the #1 export in dollar value!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

I'm not sure about the root. You can dig up black birch roots and get a pretty good root beer. On the sassafrass I have never made any tea but this one guy would use bark and twigs he cut in the Spring when there was supposed to be sap in the bark.

does anyone have any idea on what you use to make it into tea? got bunches around by me .bb75

You need the roots.

Dig them and let them dry. Cut them into two inch sections and split the sections into pieces about 1/4"-3/8" square.

Boil the dried root sections in water until they from a brew of the strength you prefer. It will only take a few pieces to make a pot of tea.

It's a taste you must acquire.

My grandad loved the stuff. I think of him every time I smell the tea.

:front:

It used to be that you could buy sassafrass root in health food stores. I loved the stuff. Sometimes I'd brew up a cup or two, and put honey it it. Sometimes I'd just drink it straight.

Cruzatte

Old Timers used to drink it every spring. They belived
the blood became thick during the winter months. By
drinking Sassafrass Tea it would thin the blood down
for the warmer months ahead..

Redwing :redthumb:

I love sassafrass tea. We used to dig it when we were kids and stay up half the night drinking cups of it. It was like red gold in our house.

I haven't had any in a few years.

Hot or cold......it's a good drink.

Good 'ol mitten tree.

We have lots on our back hill. Just to say we had, my wife and I used to make the tea, and I even carbonated some with corn sugar and yeast using my home-brew set up. It has a unique flavor, to be sure. We used the roots and grated them using a metal cheese grater, then wrapped a wad of the shavings in double cheesecloth and steeped it in a gallon of hot water.

I much prefer barking birch saplings and making birch beer; just a personal taste issue, I suppose. But I'll give sassafras high marks over the sumac tea we tried making. Ugh.

Used to gather & dry mint and make our own tea, too. Couple a real deep-woods urbanites we was.

It is actually a blood thinner. People that take heart meds and blood thinners are not to take the stuff. It is also been "proven" to be a carcinogen. I love the stuff and take to all events we go to as well as at home. Traditional folks believe/d that sassafrass prevents colds and related illnesses. Take a gander at Culpeppers Herbal, I believe it was written 1500's or 1600's. Reprints are available and is a great book.

It is correct that the roots make the best tea. We also pick the leaves at the end of summer, before they turn in the fall. They are then dried, and stems are reoved, and ground to a powder. This powder is File' for use in gumbo.

The Sassafrass Tree gives us much.

"in words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power"

Avant Jour

redwing,
I don't know why but my mother made us kids drink
a hot cup of it, like you said every spring. To me i
remember it being very, very bitter and ranked right up
there with castor oil as to be avoided. :nono:
snake-eyes :p

I learned of this great root from my Grandad too. Hot or ice cold..I still like it. As a kid running and playing in the woods of NC & VA, most all of us boys had a piece of root/bark in our mouths all the time :) Nice memory..great place and time to be a kid. :thumbsup:

someone also said on this thred that if you are taking high blood pressure meds and blood inhibiters that you sould not drink sassafrass tea is that true , dang if thats the case I should drop the meds and start drinking the tea the meds are dadgum expensive . bb75

someone also said on this thred that if you are taking high blood pressure meds and blood inhibiters that you sould not drink sassafrass tea is that true , dang if thats the case I should drop the meds and start drinking the tea the meds are dadgum expensive . bb75

I beleive most of the scrip drugs are manure!
I would consult with your physician first. He might just tell you, well sassafrass is not approved by the FDA!

Caught my husband with sassafrass tea-invited him inside, brewed some I had pulled at the farm, stripped the bark, cleaned and dried it, and took it back with me when I was living in the city. He figured he'd better grab someone who could do that! Brewed correctly and properly sweetened it is so good. I did at one time see Pappy's Extract that you could add to water to make tea, but nothing beats the real thing. Doesn't about everything cause cancer? We're still married after 40 years. S

check out this website regarding
sassafras

It's a good idea to check with a saw-bones, but make sure they are well-familiar with herbs. It can be dangerous to mix the strong herbals with Rx - like taking St John's Wart in addition to a prescription anti-depresant.....

FYI - most of the Rx medicine we have now (artificial, synthetic, etc) were derived from original herbal remedies.
For instance, the miracle of Aspirin came from Bayer in Germany about the turn of the century - Bayer was first to succesfully isolate the "active ingrediant" from White Willow Bark. However, for bad pain, (when I have the time for the preparation) I still prefer to use a strong tea brewed from the inner bark of the White Willow.

Periwinkle now has mainstream use in fighting cancer....

Back