• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Sante Fe or Ithaca Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for either a Sante Fe Hawken (.53 caliber) from Allen Arms or Western Arms company. I would also consider a 54 caliber Ithaca Hawken. I prefer the former as I already have a ball mold. Although, I've read that the Ithaca is a better representation.

I don't have an authentic Hawken copy in my collection. While I usually shoot flintlocks, I believe I should have one of these, right? 😁

Thanks!

Walt
Your ship just came in. Check classifieds.

I want to thank everyone who has offered one of their prize rifles to me!

I don't remember the Sante Fe I sold having anything on it that said: "Made in Italy". In fact, my only experience with something made by Uberti for someone else was a Lyman Remington Revolver. All it had was the Uberti Cartouche, an octagon with U in the middle.

I was hoping to find something that didn't have all that Italian verbiage on the barrel. Otherwise, I could buy one from Pedersoli.

Am I being unrealistic?

Thanks!

Walt

Last edited:
I bought a Ithaca Hawken years ago off Gun Broker with two extra barrels besides the 50 cal. barrel that came with the gun. Both extra barrels were smooth bore with one being a 12 ga. and the other measured .566 inside. The previous owner had the extra barrels made to fit the rifle with breech plugs that look identical to the original barrel. When I fired the 50 cal. barrel the hammer would move to half cock and I think the main spring is weak. I could not locate a new spring so I haven't fired it since. I like the feel of the rifle as it comes right up and my eyes line right up with the sights.

I bought a Ithaca Hawken years ago off Gun Broker with two extra barrels besides the 50 cal. barrel that came with the gun. Both extra barrels were smooth bore with one being a 12 ga. and the other measured .566 inside. The previous owner had the extra barrels made to fit the rifle with breech plugs that look identical to the original barrel. When I fired the 50 cal. barrel the hammer would move to half cock and I think the main spring is weak. I could not locate a new spring so I haven't fired it since. I like the feel of the rifle as it comes right up and my eyes line right up with the sights.
It could be a burnt out nipple causing the hammer to fly back? Try a new nipple and at least eliminate or confirm it?

Every time I decide I want something that is no longer made, there always seems to be a fascinating origin story. I want to thank the GRRW Collectors Association for their dedication to not only Doc Whites company but others as well, Green River Forge, Allen Arms, Ithaca muzzleloaders, etc.!

I have a line on a couple and am leaning towards one in Tennessee. Although, I may buy both. I'm still waiting on photos of the other. I'm heading to NC so will be able to see the first one in person and pick it up there.

Thanks, everyone! Yawl are a great bunch of folks!

Walt

The Uncle Mike's Hot Shot nipple has a hole that goes sideways through the tip to stop "blowback"!

Walt

I found the nipple to have a hole in the bottom over twice as large as it needed to be. I changed it out and the rifle had no more problems! Thanks for the info!

Sometime ago Cherry Corners predated both Ithaca and Navy Arms and Uberti half stock Hawken percussion rifles.

Forgot about the Allen company. A .45 caliber original half stock St. Louis Hawken sold for $25.500.00 last week end at the Colorado Gun Collectors Association annual show. Either Cowan or Morphy's Auction house is auctioning off a half stock Sam Hawken and expect the bids to range from $40,000.00 to $60,000.00

The H Leman rifles are a more authentic to the time period if you want a Rocky Mountain Fur Trade Rifle . I sold my Uberti .54 and got a custom made H Leman for the same money . The Hawken mystique seems to cost a lot of money .

Latest posts

Back