• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Santa Fe Hawken --Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfingers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of these rifles and it's quite a heavy piece, the lock has been gunsmithed some and I would like a complete lock. Also, it says .54cal but it's more like .53cal. I was told this when I traded for it. Uberti has no parts at all, DGW same-same, TOTW no-go. I'm at a loss here, any ideas?

I had traded a NW Trade Rifle for one back in the late 70s and if I remember right I shot a .526 ball out of it. It was a good gun but I already had a custom Hawken in .54 so I ended up selling it. Did really understand what was wrong with the lock but maybe you can find a good riflesmith who can fix it.

It IS a .53. Draftsman/engineer/whomever was told to copy one and the one he copied was a .53. Stamped caliber is wrong.

I never owned one but remember shooting against them and they were good. Either a .526 ball w .018" patch (I think Lee still makes that mold) or a .530 w .010-.012" patch in a wiped barrel. After it's popped into the muzzle it'll go down ok.

Re the Lock if not repairable by tinkering w some other lock parts, call L&R they may make a replacement
TC

TOW sells a L&R lock LR 100 that is for late Hawken rifles. The Uberti you have is patterned from the late Hawken's plains rifle. The plate of this lock is square on the top front which could allow you to grind away that portion which would curve under the patent breech. It might we worth studying this option. The current cost of the lock is $108.

J

The Uberti lock is a copy of the Ithaca Hawken lock which is the same as the Cherry Corners Hawken lock.

Here's how similar the locks are. In this picture of a Uberti lock from a factory finished rifle on the left, a Cherry Corners lock in the middle, and a lock from a Uberti kit on the right, the arrows are pointing to the seam between the lock plate and bolster plate. Where the Cherry Corners lock was riveted, the Uberti bolster appears to be spot welded.

IMG_1940-crop.jpg

This next photo shows the internals of the three locks for comparison. Uberti factory finished top, Cherry Corners middle, and Uberti kit bottom.

The resemblance between the Uberti lock internals””tumbler, bridle, and sear””and the Cherry Corners lock internals are pretty obvious.

The hammers are very similar, also.

It seems pretty convincing that Uberti copied their lock from a Cherry Corners lock, either from a custom rifle or an Ithaca Hawken.

Note the spot welds on the lock from the Uberti kit. The indentions from the spot welds on lock from the finished Uberti rifle (top) are not as deep and aren’t as noticeable because of the color case hardening.

IMG_1939_crop.jpg

Now, Ithaca locks and Cherry Corners lock are about as hard to come by as Uberti Hawken locks, but knowing they are almost the same does improve the odds of finding one. I have found them on eBay in the past.

The sear spring was replaced by Goober with a plunger-type you will find on TC locks. I have pics but no way to post. Being a hard to find rifle, way out of production, I just want it in original condition. E-mail me for the pic. Randy

[email protected]

The originals wwere from Allen Mfg., 6449 Hodgson Rd., Circle Pines, MN 55014 612-429-8231. They may be long gone, but may lead you somewhere. Navy Arms was the importer and wholesaler of record then and contacting them might give you a lead.

The guns were indeed .53 which led to no end of misery till everyone figured it out. They take a .520" ball which only Lyman could supply then. 110 grains of FFG was a real thumper of a load adn 70 grains made a decent target load, as did 60 grains of FFFg. Good luck on your hunt.

Blackfingers said:
The sear spring was replaced by Goober with a plunger-type you will find on TC locks. I have pics but no way to post. Being a hard to find rifle, way out of production, I just want it in original condition. E-mail me for the pic. Randy

[email protected]

Randy sent me his pictures. I will try posting them here.

uberti_zpsbohvbyqx.jpg

uberti1_zpsz6digmwj.jpg

uberyi2_zpsvdt5gxk5.jpg

Looks to me like he needs the sear spring. I will compare the Uberti sear spring to other locks I have and see if one will work as a substitute.

Blackfingers,
VTI Gunparts. Com. has parts for the Uberti Santa Fe Hawken, They carry the sear spring for $13.

Redheart!!!! You're a gift from God!!! Went to the site, was blown away at the assortment of parts available. Ordered several extra items for the rifle and ALL were in stock, WOW! And thanks a load!!! :hatsoff:

Blackfingers, :confused:

No problem. I thought everybody knew about that site.

if you want a spare lock, get a track of wolf catolque. they have pics of locks full size. you may find one with the same lock pattern.

Latest posts

Back