• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Santa Fe Hawken Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub524

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are any of you folks shooting a Santa Fe Hawken? .53 cal.
Just wondering what ya'll shoot in it. I generally shoot .520 RBs from Hornady but my supply is dwindling. Normally I cast my own for the other rifles. I loaned out my .520 mold some years ago and can't recall who has it. There does not seem to be a .520 mold on the market anymore.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dixie should have a scissors mould for you. One of the best deals out there.

Brent

I use an old Palmetto Arms .520 double cavity I've had for way over 20 years. I have used a .515 Lyman mold but they are even more rare.

You might try Dixie or Jeff Tanner for a mold. Tanner can make one up for you in a couple of weeks. TOW has cast round balls in .520 available.

Thanks for all the leads fella's. I will check them out. I would certainly like to find a .515 mold. I guess I should start advertising for one. :hmm:

Bub said:
Thanks for all the leads fella's. I will check them out. I would certainly like to find a .515 mold. I guess I should start advertising for one. :hmm:

I got mine back in the 80s when I got my Santa Fe. I couldn't find a .520 at the time. I found the Palmento Arms blocks just before I finished the kit so picked them up. I dusted off the .515 a few years ago when I started having problems with burned patches with the .520s. I used it with a .028 canvas patch. A year ago I tried the thick patches with the .520s. I got better results with the thick patches and .520 even though they are a little harder to start so I switched back.

Try looking up Jeff Tanner on the net. He has some great round ball moulds at very reasonable prices.

I think I might drop a note to Jeff Tanner. I have a couple of his moulds and they work well.

I generally use pillow ticking for my other rifles, but I just can't get a .520 in the barrel with it.
I bought some denim material that mikes at .012 that works okay. I'm usually not one to get all hung up on patch thickness except with this barrel.

I have a rifle that was a kit that I bought from Ken Allen at his store in Santa Fe. He told me the correct ball size was 526. I got a double cavity mould from Lyman and cast my balls from cable sheathing. that rifle would shoot three shots into an honest inch from a rest all day long with 100 gr FF Goex and a Pillow ticking patch. Have several targets out in the shop with witness signatures as some won't believe how good muzzleloaders can shoot.

Back