• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Samuel Walker's revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Neslen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After seeing Legends and Lies on TV my mind got to thinking. Many years ago I read that two Colt Walker revolvers #1009 and #1010 were destined to be Samuel Walkers personal weapons. Does anyone know if that is true and if so, where are they now?

I had read the story about the walker colts many years ago. walker was kia before he received his pistols. they were then shipped to his surviving family. at a later date one disappeared. as far I know the other still remains with the family.

Don't know who owns them now; two different collectors. However, rarely, they get together and display both revolvers along with all the provenance. I have seen them together, think it was at the Denver antique arms show over 15 years ago.

Not sure who the actual owner is but both revolvers were on display at the Ohio Gun Collectors show a few years ago along with a sword and other items that had belonged to Walker. Was told that the last member of the family had sold all the items (no one to leave them to?).

Supposedly one of the revolvers was sold by a family member in the 1940's. The man who bought the rest of the items had tracked down and purchased that revolver and was able to re-unite it with the items the family still had.

I thank everyone for the great info. My wife wanted to check my memory when I told her I had read many years ago that the serial numbers were 1009 and 1010. I still have not been able to verified that.

Thanks again,
John

In the neat little book, "The Colt Whitneyville-Walker Pistol" by L/Col Whittington, he discusses Captain Walker's revolvers. Apparently, a presentation pair was sent to Vera Cruz, SN 1019 & 1020, by James Colt, Sam's brother. He stated that Walker gave these pistols to a Capt McDonald of the Artillery, who later returned No. 1020 to James Colt. Col Whittington also states that, "Also after the war, a pair of pistols was sent to Walker's family. That pair was numbered 1009 and 1010." As usual, there is some controversy.

There's never been an end to the stories and lies about the Whitneyville-Walker revolvers. I use the term because Colt didn't make them, but subcontracted them out to Eli Whitney. It's only recently that someone seems to have realized there were only 1,000 made per the contract plus an additional 100 ordered by Colt for gifts, etc. All the stories about the second 1,000 for Walker and Hays Texas Rangers is hog wash. There were no second 1,000; they were designed for issue to Walker's regiment "The Regiment of Mounted Riflemen"...later 3rd Dragoons; 200 went to the bottom of the Mississippi in a barge sinking and Jack Hays regiment "The First Volunteer Mounted Regiment of Texas only got 180 issued to them through Walker's good graces and after he was dead...so says the regimental adjutant John Salmon
'RIP' Ford, who kept meticulous records. Of these, 90 odd were "lost in service"...read: some went boom, some went to Texas in saddle bags and 90 odd went back to armory inventory.
Ole RIP felt the explosive failures were due to troopers being unfamiliar with the conical slugs cast in the molds and were loading them backwards in the cylinders...I maintain ole Eli Whitney was saving pocket change by substituting iron for steel, a trick he got caught doing at other times. Whatever, the guns have had a more checkered past than just about anything made in the U.S. One thing RIP did mention, one of the 'rangers'...OK I"ll call them that since they did themselves, managed to plug a Mexican guerilla at 120 paces...no idea who's paces were used to measure it though! :wink: :haha:

Thanks for the information, Wes.

The numbers you mention do fit into the question the topic asks about.

You say there was 1000 revolvers made for issue and 100 for presentation guns.

Colt seemed to love giving presentation guns to high ranking folks either as a favor, or to try to bribe them into granting Colt orders for more guns.

Anyway, serial numbers 1009, 1010 or 1020 (or whatever number below 1100 is being discussed), fits right into those "Presentation" guns range.

Theory was that the pistols would be issued in pairs to the 500+/- members of the Regiment of Mounted Rifles to which Capt. Walker was assigned...along with the then fairly new M.1841 "Mississippi" rifle and after the Mexican War,the efficient M.1849 sheath knife. Fell back on the theory of "ride to fight and dismount to do so", among true dragoons for several centuries. Since the cavalry was already called Dragoons and no.#3 regiment got rifles, an obvious name soon followed. It soon dawned on everyone that two M.1847 Whitneyville-Walker saddle pistols was a lot of tonnage to schlep around. When 200 went to the bottom of the Mississippi, ordnance dept. did the obvious...one each and 180 to the Texas Regiment of Volunteer Cavalry. That seems to be the point when legend takes over and things get twisted. We've known the actual facts about the Texas "Rangers", so called, and the Walkers since RIP Ford wrote his book following the Civil War, but it's too easy copying the first mistake than look up the real answer! Ford was sold on them and got a pair for himself...benefit of being regimental adjutant and recording officer! He claimed then the equal of the "Mississippi" rifle but remained puzzled at why so many failed in service...pretty sure it was old Eli cutting corners. :wink:

Back