• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety of Shooting an 1853 Enfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a nepalese 1853 Enfield from an auction recently for cheap. Appears to be one of the restored rifles IMA offered, but how do I know if it's safe to shoot?

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm proceed with caution on that one........

You have no idea what's going on with the metal, if there's microcracks in the breech area, metal fatigue, how it's been stored.....

What would I do with it? I'd clean the bore really well , run dry patches down the pipe. Pop some caps and make sure a blade of grass will move at the muzzle to make sure the flash channel is clear.

I'd load a blank of about 100 gr with wadding on top to keep it compressed and touch off a blank. Just to make sure there's no obvious defects.

Then I'd load it with whatever you're going to load it with, patched ball, Minie, etc assuming it's a .58 with good rifling.

I'd tie it to something solid or put it under a tire, some wood, whatever and fire a few rounds Redneck Remote with a string tied to the trigger.

Even if it did well with that, I'd shoot it sparingly. There's an article online about a guy shooting one of the Nepalese P58's and it wasn't an optimal experience for him.

Back