• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty cellar find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would see what the bore is like before I sent it of to Bobby Hoyt, Bnthere.
If a smoothbore, it doesn't have to be perfect to shoot well. A good scrubbing out will tell you what you have.

Good luck with it!
R.

Bnthere, I would skip the steel wool and go with bronze. Also, consider using Kramer's Antique Restorer on your Springfield. The guys who rescue Martinis and Sniders covered with 150 years of rust and Nepalese "yak fat" swear by it for helping salvage the history without damage to what remains.

Bnthere, I would skip the steel wool and go with bronze. Also, consider using Kramer's Antique Restorer on your Springfield. The guys who rescue Martinis and Sniders covered with 150 years of rust and Nepalese "yak fat" swear by it for helping salvage the history without damage to what remains.
I have no idea where to find the Kramers. I check online. Thanks

I inherited my grandfather's pre WWII Savage Mod 4C. It had rust on the barrel. I had it professionally re blued as I don't care about the value of it as I plan to keep it. I'm not sure if I can post the gunsmith's business name on the forum. If interested I can get you his name/website. He did a fantastic job at restoring the barrel and it wasn't overly expensive.

How long is the barrel? I assume it's been cut to around 30". If so, a couple of ram-rod thimbles, and a wooden ram-rod and it would look pretty cool, kind of, or like those Navy Arms "Buffalo Hunters" made from (replica) Model 1863 Remington Contract rifles years ago.

I never do any heavy cleaning on an antique, have yet to see one that was more valuable after cleaning than before. Oil, tooth brush,and a good rag should be enough on the outside. Just my two cents on the subject.

Indeed. I'd love to have a nice, deep, natural rust-brown on both my Bess and my Jeager, like a rusted barn/attic find, cleaned as above. However, my barrels are turning a nice grey color, as the years go by.

Back